THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DefTaker

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Tony
Had a hankering for some ribeye steaks so I got a 3-pk from Sam's for Choice Certified Angus Beef. 2 of the 3 had great marbling that looked like it could almost pass for Prime, the other one was definitely choice at best.

Nothing fancy - just S&P...IMO tho good beef only needs S&P.

Only took photos of the 1 steak...wife complained about how smoky the kitchen got tho even with the fans on the exhaust on full blast.

Oh well, I guess the complaint evened out with how great the 'crust' on the steak was so it's fine! :becky:

Attachments

Looks great! Sounds like you have a good excuse to build an outdoor kitchen!! Just tell your wife that it will prevent the house from getting smoky and I’m sure she’ll approve. :grin:

Looks great. We have a small 2 burner camp chef stove for those types of cooks. It wasn’t expensive, but was worth it for us.

That looks fabulous, DefTaker! Just like jkief, I do it outside on a camp stove. My wife loves those crusty steaks that only come from cast iron.

Looks great! Sounds like you have a good excuse to build an outdoor kitchen!! Just tell your wife that it will prevent the house from getting smoky and I’m sure she’ll approve. :grin:

Lol, you are a man w/a plan!

My wife did actually ask me "WTF didn't you just grill this outside using one of your grills and throw the cast iron skillet in there instead of creating a fire hazard in the kitchen?"

Which I could've done...but I didn't want to respond with "Cause I was feeling lazy and running low on charcoal..."

I'd like to get a griddle next since I currently have a 22-in. Weber One Touch Gold, 22-in WSM, two (2) MBGF 1050's...but my wife says that one of those has to go if I get any new BBQ hardware...

So I may be selling off one of my MasterBuilt 1050's in the near future...

Looks nice. I need to add the cast iron skillet to my skillset.

Next time we do steaks on the Yoder I think I'll heat up the cast iron skillet instead of the grill grates when I do the reverse sear.

What do you suggest putting in the skillet? Butter, herbs, anything?

Looks nice. I need to add the cast iron skillet to my skillset.

Next time we do steaks on the Yoder I think I'll heat up the cast iron skillet instead of the grill grates when I do the reverse sear.

What do you suggest putting in the skillet? Butter, herbs, anything?

Actually, I don't use anything in the skillet (until the very end if I feel like it).

What I do is rub my steaks with a very light coating of olive oil (or grapeseed oil if I have it on hand -- a more neutral flavor profile than olive oil) and then season with salt & pepper. The oil makes a great binder and I don't have to use additional oil in the CI skillet. (Of course, making sure that the steak is patted dry 100% before I rub any oil on it though.)

If I do want to add a little more flavor, at the end of the cook, I'll throw in a 1 tbsp of minced garlic and a couple pats of butter. Pull off the heat (or place the CI skillet on the indirect side of the grill and spoon baste with the butter + garlic combo -- you can also add a sprig of thyme or other herb if you'd like into this butter mix).

Then let sit for 5 - 10 mins before cutting into the steak.

Back