Cast Iron Pan Pizza

Dr. Trout Bum

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Greg
I posted a photo of one I did with green chile in the hatch thread, but I made a couple of more pizzas on Labor Day and took a few photos to document the process.

I made the dough the night before...it should rise for 8+ hours.

Meanwhile, I made some sauce - tomato sauce, a little water, sugar, oregano, basil, thyme, garlic powder, salt, pepper and a bay leaf.

29558737317_47fdcd1772_z.jpg

Decided on pepperoni and sausage, so I put some hot Jimmy Dean sausage on the Blackstone

29558737157_a4fe32373d_z.jpg

Divided the dough into two. I put a couple of TBSP of peanut oil in each CI pan and swirled it around to cover the whole bottom. I put the dough ball in the pan to get it oily, then flipped it over and punched it down to "fill the pan". It won't go all the way to the edges, but then I let it rest for about an hour and it creeps toward the edges. After an hour, I keep lifting and pulling to stretch it to the edges.

29558736677_9b4089ff73_z.jpg

Add some sauce...

29558736507_09ea2fc1f5_z.jpg

Add some sausage...

29558736417_95b5f117e7_z.jpg

Add some pepperoni...

29558734727_dd96435fd6_z.jpg

Pile on the mozzarella...

29558734567_5fff444e31_z.jpg

Maybe a little more pepperoni....

29558731767_86ff8c1022_z.jpg

And into the oven at 550F....bam, you've got pan pizza!

29558728867_7b871a1538_z.jpg

Oh yeah. Nicely done. I'll have to give this a try on the gasser. I can get it well over 600 degrees on it and use indirect heat to not scorch the bottom.

Nice! I was actually looking to buy a Deep dish pan to change up from the thin crust I make. I'll give this a whirl this weekend and make a stuffed pizza.

My wife to be gets those Blue Apron meals sent to our house once in awhile and once they sent us a cast iron pizza recipe that came out great. We've since done it a number of times on our own and it's always a hit. I agree with the above comment about adding extra oil in the pan to fry the crust up a bit more. Adds something "extra".

My wife loves this pan pizza in an iron pan https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

I usually add more olive oil to the pan so it fries more. Done them in the oven and on the gasser when I don't feel like heating the house. Both have worked great.

This is a wonderful recipe, I love it.

Only thing to note, is his recipe is for a 10" cast iron. If, like me, you only 12" cast iron skillets make sure to modify the recipe appropriately or you won't get as much dough as you'd like for a "pan pizza".

Keeping in mind that a 12" pan has almost 50% more area than a 10" skillet does.

This is a wonderful recipe, I love it.

Only thing to note, is his recipe is for a 10" cast iron. If, like me, you only 12" cast iron skillets make sure to modify the recipe appropriately or you won't get as much dough as you'd like for a "pan pizza".

Keeping in mind that a 12" pan has almost 50% more area than a 10" skillet does.

That's a good point. I think there are some comments below the recipe that address the percentage to increase/reduce the portions based on pan size so it comes out right.

I've made them in cheap 10" cake pans too and they worked well. Also, I have one 10" Lodge and an older Griswold pan that is a little larger, so we typically use the same recipe but make the Lodge pizza a little thicker and the Griswold a little thinner.

I want to do the CI thing on my grill..am looking into "ready to go" dough..also looking for non-tomato based sauce..any help?

Back