THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ChicagoSizzlin

Full Fledged Farker
Thanks to these forums I decided to try some Carne Asada. Living just outside of Chicago I have access to lots of great ethnic food stores. Found a great one near my work and decided to hit it. First off Im 100% Italian so my spanish is so so. Picked up 2lbs of skirt steak and the butcher sliced thin pieces and tenderized it for me. Costed me about $8 for the meat. Picked up some Mojo Criollo marinade and some carne asada rub. Also grabbed some fresh cheese, green onions and cilantro.

Heres the meat bathing in goodness.

34322_1387005034259_1206047002_3097.jpg

Grilling up the meat made my mouth water right away.

34322_1387005074260_1206047002_3097.jpg

Final product not much for presentation. I am a simple man haha!

34322_1387005114261_1206047002_3097.jpg

Thanks to these forums Im really enjoying cooking once again! Thanks again !

Last edited:
So what did you think of the flavor?

I think I might of put just a little too much rub but I really didnt mind it. The marinade is a must and I think Im going to try it on some chicken. Overall I really enjoyed it. No different than the local mexican resteraunts which is a very good thing.

Last edited:
Very nice indeed! One aside: You mentioned the meat was flank steak - that sure looks like skirt steak to me.

Those look awesome! I like the tip about having the butcher slice them for you, will do that next time.

May I ask what kind of cheese did you use? Queso Fresco?

The butcher also put the sliced pieces in a machine that tenderized them as well. Not sure if that is standard in most Ethnic foodstores but the meat was amazing. Queso Fresco is the cheese I used too.

Back