Carlisle vs Cambro

Monty - at comps if you put wrapped meat in it and seal the door you will seriously continue to cook butts and brisket. You won't like the results at turn-in.

True Dat!

Been there, with steamed, overcooked meat that scored lousy.

Leave your meats out for a while until you break the temp curve, then leave the door cracked to let the steam out and you'll be fine.

For how long. We typically hold for between 2-3 hours?

Also, is the door wide open - or close to closed but not latched?
You can hold the meat in there for quite a while. I was very pleasantly surprised how little of a temp difference I had after 3-4 hours.

Luckily it kept my pork over 140 so I didnt have to reheat it.:twisted::icon_devil

I guess how long do you hold it with the door open - or is that what you meant, Rod?
I don't leave the door open. Once the meat stops cooking you can close the door.

On the opposite side, like someone else said. I fill the pans with ice for raw product and use them as a cooler. Works as good as a cooler and one less thing to haul.

The only issue I've heard, and it's rare, is the latches on the carlisle are plastic. Are they still that way? I see one response that had that problem.

How about you others, any latch problems?

The only issue I've heard, and it's rare, is the latches on the carlisle are plastic. Are they still that way? I see one response that had that problem.

the new cambros do too! just got a upc400 and its latch is plastic

I am surprised that so many folks are advising against using "Cambros" (Insulated Food Carriers) for competitions, or at a minimum are advising against shutting them for full insulation.

It looks like my perception and what is reality for some top teams were miles apart. Par for the course I suppose.

Interesting thread.

I bought two used Carlisles and they have metal latches. Not sure what model they are or how old.

They hold meat hot for 4 hours easy. I cant imagine the Cambros being much better.

I am still cooking on my cooker while I am holding briskets and butts. At 300* I wouldn't be warming, I'd be cooking.

Just messing around, I try not to use cambros for comp, because I believe it dries the meat out. I use the sauce to re heat if needed, but I try to time it perfect.

Back