Can someone classify this tree?

My first thought was a dead hickory. I sent the pics to 7 of my customers who have 30 plus years each running hardwood sawmills. They unanimously say it is ash.

My first thought was a dead hickory. I sent the pics to 7 of my customers who have 30 plus years each running hardwood sawmills. They unanimously say it is ash.

Obviously still good for smoking? And its probably a mixture of ash and oak if that's the case. found out later it wasn't just one tree. Some of it looks different. Tried smoking with it the other day I thought it had a good flavor. pretty mild but I dont like a strong over powering smoke flavor

Obviously still good for smoking? And its probably a mixture of ash and oak if that's the case. found out later it wasn't just one tree. Some of it looks different. Tried smoking with it the other day I thought it had a good flavor. pretty mild but I dont like a strong over powering smoke flavor

Ash is ok for smoking although when seasoned it will burn hot and fast.

Ash is ok for smoking although when seasoned it will burn hot and fast.

Well the way I see it, If its safe for food then I'm all for it. especially that much wood. I've got a pretty nice stack started. If I get any kind of decent smoke flavor It'll be fine :D

After all when I first purchased my smoker I had no wood, no chain saw, no way of knowing how to get wood for my smoker! Now I have 4ft tall and 8 feet wide with splits lol

I just bought some oak tonight and the bark look the same as mine . I used to have a Brinkmann Trail Master too and it liked splits the size diameter as a pop can and 6"long and I found it was all in how you prop one piece on top of the other and having the right amount of air flow .

Last edited:
I just bought some oak tonight and the bark look the same as mine . I used to have a Brinkmann Trail Master too and it liked splits the size diameter as a pop can and 6"long and I found it was all in how you prop one piece on top of the other and having the right amount of air flow .

See this confuses me. I guess its pretty much a mixed bag. Its ether ash or oak. I'm inclined to believe the guy above that took it to 7 different people that worked at a sawmill for years. Been researching all day and oak and ash looks very similar.

But then again!! I guess you just never know! I personally do not know what the differences is or know the method at which they came to the conclusion it was ash compared to oak. I wish I knew more about the type of wood other than looking at pictures.

the grain of oak and ash are almost identical. ash is less dense you would be able to feel the difference. I would be surprised if it wasn't ash just by the bark.

See this confuses me. I guess its pretty much a mixed bag. Its ether ash or oak. I'm inclined to believe the guy above that took it to 7 different people that worked at a sawmill for years. Been researching all day and oak and ash looks very similar.

But then again!! I guess you just never know! I personally do not know what the differences is or know the method at which they came to the conclusion it was ash compared to oak. I wish I knew more about the type of wood other than looking at pictures.

I know what I got for sure by the leaves that were left on several pieces .

the grain of oak and ash are almost identical. ash is less dense you would be able to feel the difference. I would be surprised if it wasn't ash just by the bark.

Yeah, I say this could possibly be both. Like I said before, this wasn't one tree. When I went to pick it up, the guy was like "The only thing I cut down was oak" But also gave me stuff that was laying around near by. We determined it was oak, but I say its a mixture of both because I've felt the difference in pieces as I was splitting it.

But like i said, I've cooked with it already, loved the food cooked with it. As a guy that had no wood, no chain saw (now have a chain saw) I have a wood split pile as tall as me. Plus all the wood left in my original post to split! So At least I have plenty of fuel!

I've noticed this, About 1/2 way through a cook the fire "acts up" and its all down hill from there! Bluedawg do you use the brinkmann alot? what is your current pit? I haven't seen posts on that.

Can't use it as much as I'd like to, I've been rocking the ECM lately & the Performer it's a tinder box round here. We got our first rain this morning since the beginning of June. I just don't want to chance it I had a 25 acre brush fire that burned to with in 15 yrds of my property line 3 weeks ago. The Hwy crew was mowing the right of way hit a rock 1 spark it it was on like donkey kong took 3 Fire Co's to put it out.

That is Ash you have there the grain is to straight to be Oak

Can't use it as much as I'd like to, I've been rocking the ECM lately & the Performer it's a tinder box round here. We got our first rain this morning since the beginning of June. I just don't want to chance it I had a 25 acre brush fire that burned to with in 15 yrds of my property line 3 weeks ago. The Hwy crew was mowing the right of way hit a rock 1 spark it it was on like donkey kong took 3 Fire Co's to put it out.

That is Ash you have there the grain is to straight to be Oak

Haha well If things gets crazy around your parts and you set stuff on fire! MAKE SURE TO GRAB YOUR RIBS AND SHOW THEM ON THE TV! HAHAHA

Sry bludawg I meant to say brisket! haha! seems that is your specialty :becky:

But yeah I'm trying to study up on my cuts of wood now that I have a chainsaw. I have woods on my property with plenty of wood to be cut.

I know nothing about it. Honestly when i decided to purchase my smoker I had no plans for wood or even cared about it. After two cooks using cherry wood I bought from a buddy of mine. I realized I needed to figure some things out. (Didn't really like the cherry and Still have a bit of it)

Back