THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey Wampus, how does the idea of tag team look in terms of stretches covered. You have leg 1 from Indiana, and it looks like a couple of guys can run from southern OK to Dan.

I just ran through this thread and have started writing it all down.

Here's what we have so far:

I can get it to Manito, IL (where I will pick up the Fiery Furnace per Dan's request and bring it back to IN)
LTG can take it from Manito to Springfield, IL
93vpmod can run from Springfield, IL to STL
<GAP>
Captain Caveman can run a leg in and around Joplin, MO (not sure how far eithe way - Capt?)
<GAP>
Looks like the southern leg is covered from OK...
SmittyJonz can run from Southern OK to Dallas, TX
luke duke can run from Dallas to Austin
Mikemci can run from Austin to San Antonio.

SO....as of right now, we have a need for hauling from St Louis to somewhere near Joplin, MO, where Captain Caveman can take it to somewhere south of Joplin down I44 to toward Tulsa or down US69 toward Muskogee.

THEN, there's a gap from there to Southern OK (not sure where you were thinking SmittyJonz?)

Actually....not too shabby Brethren. Most of it looks mapped out.

I just ran through this thread and have started writing it all down.

Here's what we have so far:

I can get it to Manito, IL (where I will pick up the Fiery Furnace per Dan's request and bring it back to IN)
LTG can take it from Manito to Springfield, IL
93vpmod can run from Springfield, IL to STL
<GAP>
Captain Caveman can run a leg in and around Joplin, MO (not sure how far eithe way - Capt?)
<GAP>
Looks like the southern leg is covered from OK...
SmittyJonz can run from Southern OK to Dallas, TX
luke duke can run from Dallas to Austin
Mikemci can run from Austin to San Antonio.

SO....as of right now, we have a need for hauling from St Louis to somewhere near Joplin, MO, where Captain Caveman can take it to somewhere south of Joplin down I44 to toward Tulsa or down US69 toward Muskogee.

THEN, there's a gap from there to Southern OK (not sure where you were thinking SmittyJonz?)

Actually....not too shabby Brethren. Most of it looks mapped out.

Let me know how long of a leg you need me to run and I will try to make it happen.
Easily from Springfield Mo. to Tulsa area, but I can do more if needed.

I'd go up to OKC if I'm only bringing to DFW - or I could meet around State Line and I'd run it down Northside of Austin - Like Round Rock or somewhere.

Let me know how long of a leg you need me to run and I will try to make it happen.
Easily from Springfield Mo. to Tulsa area, but I can do more if needed.

I'd go up to OKC if I'm only bringing to DFW - or I could meet around State Line and I'd run it down Northside of Austin - Like Round Rock or somewhere.

Well, are you two willing to meet somewhere around Muskogee, OK?
It looks to be a little farther for you (Smitty) than OKC, but?

If that connection is made, then we only have a gap from STL to somewhere NE of Joplin.

luke duke said he can take it from Dallas to Austin. LUKE? That still cool?

Ok, I've stayed away from the thread until today. Quite frankly, I'm very humbled and don't know what to say. The generosity of the Brethren amazes me and shames me that I don't do more. I am grateful.

That said, I think packing them up and shipping by truck is way too much. A tag team wouldn't be so much and I know they've been pulled off successfully in the past. I actually got to be a part of one. There is no time limit on it happening. I'd love to have Drew continue to Q soon, but we went 20 months without it, sol...

In the meantime, in case the tag team doesn't happen for a while, we are saving pennies for another smoker. It may take until summer, but it'll happen in God's timing. Besides, it'll allow me expand my arsenal. I've been wanting a 22WSM anyway. I put my kidney up for sale today, so who knows?

Thnks, everyone...especially Kempis.

The Lord bless you and keep you.
The Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you.
The Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Let me know how much we're hauling. I have a pickup, but if needed, I will bring my 16' tandem axle trailer with me.

As of right now, we're just talking about a Big Steel Keg, a small BGE and his week burner, so not a lot of room needed.

Now....I'll probably get with Dan and see if there's anything else he wants since we probably have room to take more and if we're making the trip, why not?

I literally have his 7'x10.5' box trailer STUFFED with everything I could fit into it when I picked it up from his place last year, so there's all kinds of stuff, but I don't think he has room to store much where he's at right now. Otherwise, I'd just hook up to it and we'd get the whole thing down there.

In addition to what we're talking about now, there's an 18.5" WSM, about 3 UDS's, an outdoor fireplace, a Large BGE, an outdoor sink, a HUGE electric warming cabinet, tables, shelving, and OODLES of catering, vending and competition stuff. I'll probably recommend the WSM go on the trip and whatever else he thinks he'd like to have. I'll leave that up to him, but I'd like to get the most out of our haul as possible, without making it difficult. In other words, I don't want people having to deal with spending an hour transferring stuff from one truck to the next each time there's a "handoff".

If we can make the haul happen and fill in the few gaps we have, then I'll get with Dan and work out details.

Hey, hey, hey, I bought the kidney, for $25. If you had told me it was for a 22" WSM, well, maybe I could add a handling charge.

Well, are you two willing to meet somewhere around Muskogee, OK?
It looks to be a little farther for you (Smitty) than OKC, but?

If that connection is made, then we only have a gap from STL to somewhere NE of Joplin.

luke duke said he can take it from Dallas to Austin. LUKE? That still cool?

Muskogee is ok with me, Or somewhere near Chandler Ok is alright if you want a smoother ride. :biggrin1:

Can anyone get it from STL to Springfield?

Muskogee is ok with me, Or somewhere near Chandler Ok is alright if you want a smoother ride. :biggrin1:

OOOH....this is good info. I'm not familiar with that route from Joplin to Muskogee. Is US69 not good? Would it be better to either stay on I-44 to Tulsa and then down toward Henryetta, OK? Or even down I-540 to Fayetteville, then Fort Smith, then cut across I-40 to south of Muskogee?

I'm only looking at the most direct route as suggested by Google Maps.

And THIS seems to be the biggest question.....

Can anyone get it from STL to Springfield?

Hey, hey, hey, I bought the kidney, for $25. If you had told me it was for a 22" WSM, well, maybe I could add a handling charge.

I'm not sure a deal was ever made. Last I saw you didn't even make a decent offer, only whined about not having options.

Farker. :boxing:

OOOH....this is good info. I'm not familiar with that route from Joplin to Muskogee. Is US69 not good? Would it be better to either stay on I-44 to Tulsa and then down toward Henryetta, OK? Or even down I-540 to Fayetteville, then Fort Smith, then cut across I-40 to south of Muskogee?

I'm only looking at the most direct route as suggested by Google Maps.

And THIS seems to be the biggest question.....

HWY 69 = SUX.....this route shook my exhaust stack off of my smoker on the way to Dallas 2 years in a row.......(evidently I am a slow learner).
I will go to Muskogee, or Chandler either one. Whatever SmittyJonz prefers.

Last edited:
Im working on the StL to Springfield leg now.. but people are sleeping.. WTF.. :boxing:

PSSHHHHHH....Poobah's on the case. Done deal.

Make it so!

I've got hit the sack.
I've got a 3 hour drive in the AM to get to a job. I'll check in around mid-day.

Thanks y'all.

THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!!!!
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Ok, I've stayed away from the thread until today. Quite frankly, I'm very humbled and don't know what to say. The generosity of the Brethren amazes me and shames me that I don't do more. I am grateful.

That said, I think packing them up and shipping by truck is way too much. A tag team wouldn't be so much and I know they've been pulled off successfully in the past. I actually got to be a part of one. There is no time limit on it happening. I'd love to have Drew continue to Q soon, but we went 20 months without it, sol...

In the meantime, in case the tag team doesn't happen for a while, we are saving pennies for another smoker. It may take until summer, but it'll happen in God's timing. Besides, it'll allow me expand my arsenal. I've been wanting a 22WSM anyway. I put my kidney up for sale today, so who knows?

Thnks, everyone...especially Kempis.

The Lord bless you and keep you.
The Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you.
The Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

First off.....all I've done here is type some words on a computer. Big deal.

Secondly.....Brother Dan.....don't you EVER think that you need to do MORE. It's precisely BECAUSE you have already DONE so much that this thread exists and that so many Brethren are willing to make this happen and have been offering prayers for you and your family for the last nearly 2 years. It is YOU who have touched so many lives through not only these forums, but through your reaching out to people outside of them. You and I met years ago when you were cooking some 2 dozen butts to help a family in need. This is NOTHING that you should feel ashamed or indebted for. THIS IS PAYBACK my dear friend. You, in some weird Lutheran way (wink-wink/ha-ha) have influenced me, answered questions that I had, and taken the time to just.....be there. I don't know for sure, but I have to imagine that you've done the same for many other people on these forums.

I think I speak for all of the BBQ Brethren when I say with all the love and respect in the world these words:

SHUT UP CHAMBERS!

I just wish I was able to be on the other end of this trip to see you.
Love ya brother.

Wampus, et al. It sounds like everything is coming together and I'm very proud to be part of a group (admittedly a small part) that would reach out to help a brother like this. I have no doubt that many of us would like to help out but are just to far away to be part of the relay. Have you thought about some way the rest of us could help pay for fuel for those brothers that are doing the heavy lifting here?

Last edited:
Guys, I am new to the forum but I may be able to fill in the gap from St Louis to Springfield depending when you want this to happen. I live outside of Springfield but my job takes me to St Louis and would be glad to make that haul if the timing is right.

CB

Back