THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reviving an older thread but others may have an older Berkel slicer with built in sharpener still so I offer the following from my own experience.
That lever is on a strong spring by design and is meant to move the two stones against the blade from either side of the blade, simultaneously as you press the lever. Sharpening the main blade face with the coarse stone, and removing the wire edge on the back side with the finer beveled wheel.
When pressing the lever both stones are supposed to move towards each other and when released they move away from each other opening that gap between them.
What happens over time is the two stone slides seize up from being predominantly held against their wide open detents.
The fix is to unload the lever by moving it inwards and shimming the gap between the arm and one of the two stone wheel slides. This allows you to free up the other one so it moves in and out again. Then repeat for the other one. Once both stones slide in and out as the lever is engaged you can then reset the sharpener in the slicer and clean up your blade.
I have the 1500 Berkel from the early 50s and it still works like a champ!
Hope the above makes sense and if I can figure out how to add pictures I will.
Cheers men. Happy cooking.
Mike.

It's an old thread, but discussion is new so I'll chime in.

can't speak to the much older Berkel HC model, but later models like the 808, 818, 909, and 919 kind of had a 2 stage lever. You drop the stones down on each side of the blade and then pull/press the lever part way to engage the rear stone. Do that a few times. Then, push/pull the lever the rest of the way and it engages the front stone as well to deburr.

If you have a commercial slicer, you absolutely need to have a working sharpener, or some other way to sharpen the blade somewhat frequently. Removing the blade and taking it to get it sharpened once a year just doesn't really work. Even if you have it razor sharp with a freshly sharpened blade, it will start to dull on the very first slice. If I'm slicing up 40lbs of meat, I'll usually touch my Berkel up 2 or 3 times during the slicing session. Mostly it's just to deburr the edge that has rolled over.

Also, FWIW, most slicers are single bevel with the bevel being on the back side of the blade. That uses the angled coarse stone to grind the blade. Fine stone goes flat against the front side of the blade to deburr.

Back