Calcutta auctions at contests

Oh, I guess I was looking at it like our golf outings. The Calcutta payout is durived only from the calcutta bidding.
I would not like to see contest payouts lowered because of a calcutta.

It is an interesting idea though. New teams that didnt really have any chance of winning would be able to enter and see how they stack up for a small amount of money.

We got bid up to $200... and I think Maynard would have bid us up to $225 if he would have gotten the guys attention lol. We pulled down $620 total, I believe $350 was our calcutta $$. It payed better than the contest winnings for sure.

I still have that text message that says I owned half of you guys. Send me my $75 and we'll call it even:twisted::lol::lol::mrgreen:

Oh, I guess I was looking at it like our golf outings. The Calcutta payout is durived only from the calcutta bidding.
I would not like to see contest payouts lowered because of a calcutta.

It is an interesting idea though. New teams that didnt really have any chance of winning would be able to enter and see how they stack up for a small amount of money.

Just like your golf. calcutta payoff is only from the bidding. Payouts are not lowered. We just have lower payouts than KCBS. Lower entries ($75). So buying your team just gives you a chance at a better payout if you place 1-3.

Jorge it sounds like they screwed you again i bet they will save a kiss for you........

Hope the will take some of the winnings and invest in some lip gloss. I'll see them the first weekend in April!

I guess I was confused on a calcutta only knowing it as it goes with fishing. Makes no sense to me why I would allow someone to buy a piece of me if there is nothing in it for me? If I am understanding this correctly teams should have a choice to be up for bid or not.

In most calcuttas, the bids for each category, flight, etc are kept separate. So the pot could be $1000 for the GC & only $500 for the chicken. A person or a team can bid on themselves. If they don't win the bid, most calcuttas allow a person to buy back half. So if I bought you for $100, you can buy half by paying me $50. We would then split any winnings.

I vehemently oppose outsiders bidding up the teams at a Calcutta. I'd rather swap turn in trays with a buddy and split any winnings with them rather than let an outsider take money for my win. Screw them!!

For this reason I prefer the cookers pool.

Nobody says you gotta bid. We do side bets all the time too. The way I see it is bid what you think you are worth and if it goes beyond that just don't bid. Myself, I would never let anyone get me unless they were my friends and then it is ok. No sense bidding it up if my fellow cooker already has me. The Calcutta doubled my winnings last weekend, I love them. Then again, if you get bid up too high then even if you win, you can still lose.

I like when they do a limit on the bids. I have seen where some Calcuttas cap out at a certain amount and the team gets the option to make that bid.

We recently conducted a calcutta auction at the Lake Havasu cook off
I know these things are big in Texas have they cought on anywhere else?
Nice lil gift for the Cancersucks Monica Fun
The Local Food Bank and 3 winning bidders
We went with payouts on GC, 1st in Pork and 10th in Ribs
:) The GC also hit 10th in Ribs :)
Great Bid Sweet Peppers
Then Kelly won the GC but was also had Notley Que
so he hit the 1st in Pork money

A good day for Four Legs Up indeed

Tom, I think you have no idea what a Calcutta is or maybe it is just you typing in code. This doesn't sound like a Calcutta. Sounds more like a you selected three places to pay and you paid them. It wasn't about the top cookers in each category like the conventional Calcutta. But call it a Calcutta if you wish. It's almost like the 10th in ribs was a wild card/jackpot. Intersting anyway....

We just have lower payouts than KCBS. Lower entries ($75). So buying your team just gives you a chance at a better payout if you place 1-3.

I get it, just misunderstood. They can be fun as long as you dont have a drunk with a big wallet biding everything out of line.
It could be a real fun way to get sponsors involved in a contest by inviting and letting them bid ... what friday night?

What would you do with teams that did not get bid on? Or is the starting bid a $1 or so?

So who's setting one up for Little Rock?

Tom, I think you have no idea what a Calcutta is or maybe it is just you typing in code. This doesn't sound like a Calcutta. Sounds more like a you selected three places to pay and you paid them. It wasn't about the top cookers in each category like the conventional Calcutta. But call it a Calcutta if you wish. It's almost like the 10th in ribs was a wild card/jackpot. Intersting anyway....

It WAS a calcutta auction, with teams pooled so that there were only 25 not 75 bids. However, you ARE correct in that it did have some crazy 'lottery' angles to it like the 10th place ribs. Instead of paying % to 1st, 2nd and 3rd like you would expect, they took a cut off the top for charity and paid 1st overall, 1st in pork, and 10th in ribs. Still a calcutta auction.

and yes, Thom types in code.

Makes one feel something like a racehorse, doesn't it?
After a great career, do you get put out to stud?

What would you do with teams that did not get bid on? Or is the starting bid a $1 or so?

I don't think that I have seen a team sold for under $10.

At the awards Saturday, the couple in front of owned a couple other teams, and each one walked a couple of time. one was GC.

I'm sure they had a good payday.

Nobody says you gotta bid. We do side bets all the time too. The way I see it is bid what you think you are worth and if it goes beyond that just don't bid. Myself, I would never let anyone get me unless they were my friends and then it is ok. No sense bidding it up if my fellow cooker already has me. The Calcutta doubled my winnings last weekend, I love them. Then again, if you get bid up too high then even if you win, you can still lose.

I like when they do a limit on the bids. I have seen where some Calcuttas cap out at a certain amount and the team gets the option to make that bid.

LOL we do not have to do what you do :)
The 10th in Ribs was there to create interest in all the team bundles
And yes I speak in tongues every now and then :)

I still have that text message that says I owned half of you guys. Send me my $75 and we'll call it even:twisted::lol::lol::mrgreen:

Jorge forgot to mention he wanted to call in from Houston to bid us up :twisted:
Somehow that phone in the kitchen fell off the hook onto the floor....:icon_devil

Back