THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anchors Smokeshop

is one Smokin' Farker
I just went to Waldbaums and all they had was picnic pork shoulder. Everything I've read on here says to use pork butt for making pulled pork.
Can I use the picnic? Is there any other prep for a picnic that I wouldn't do for a butt? Will it taste the same?

I've done picnic's a few times and didn't notice a big difference in taste. Worked fine for pulled pork.

I did a butt and a shoulder last Sunday and there was only a little difference both were great.

I prefer butts, but I think thats because i'm "supposed" to. I have done a picnic once when I couldn't find any butts and it turned out just fine. Go for it, Enjoy!

I have not had good luck with picnics, but that could be the meat rather than the cut. I like the boneless butt better and am doing one tomorrow.

I started out doing picnics for pulled pork cuz there were no butts to be found around here. They are fine to use. More bone and skin than a butt has so they are a little more work in the prep area, but the end result is tasty. I usually remove the skin prior to cooking but some will just score the skin down to the meat and then rub. Both ways are good eats.

I cook Picnic's a lot. I like Butts better but the local Supermarket runs sales and prices Picnics at 49Cents a pound. I load up when this happens and if there is a limit, I send everyone in the family to get what they can.

Pulled pork from Picnics is fine. Cook them up and enjoy yourself.

Back