Burnt Ends From Brisket Flat???

kevrol

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Kevin
I have a brisket flat that is fully cooked and has been vacuum sealed in my freezer for a good bit. Know your supposed to use the point but any reason I can't cube the flat and make burnt ends out of it? We're having some folks over tomorrow am afraid of serving it sliced. It's been in my freezer for about 4 months so am thinking if I make burnt ends it'll mask any of the issues it gained by being in the freezer that long.

Could certainly try.

If it were me I'd chop it up, heat up with a bit of tallow and serve chopped beef sandwiches or tacos. Can't go wrong with either of those!

x0oSayJ.jpg

Burnt ends, sometimes called brownies were actually cutting board pieces that were saved for a few days and put on a special. Because of their popularity they became a regular item. Because slices from the flat were the 'first cut', burnt ends by default were made from the point. Then many, many years later, people simply cut brisket into cubes and dubbed them burnt ends. Then came burnt ends from a chuck, a butt and a pork belly.

I say you are good to roll.

A point can be sauced and tossed back in because there is so much fat that it will never dry out.

If that flat is fully cooked, I’m not sure how much longer you can toss it back in for without it drying out.

I’m sure you can heat it up, dice it, and mix it with bbq sauce and serve without trying to burn them.

Before that, heat a few slices up and see how they are. I made a brisket last weekend that I thought was a little dry because it was too cool when I sliced it. Once I heated it up it turned out to be one of the best briskets I ever made.

+1 on burnt ends literally starting out as the burnt parts of a brisket that were trimmed off before slicing. Once they became popular the bbq places found a way of intentionally making them and the point turned out to make the best burnt ends.

Last edited:
I have done some of the flat mixed in with some point as a leftover meal the next day. That turns out really good for me.

For me, burnt ends are a byproduct of breaking down the cooked brisket….they’re “barky” edges or….ends….and I get most from the point but some from the flat too. I never return them to the cooker either. Cube and serve along with sliced point and flat.

For me, burnt ends are a byproduct of breaking down the cooked brisket….they’re “barky” edges or….ends….and I get most from the point but some from the flat too. I never return them to the cooker either. Cube and serve along with sliced point and flat.

This is true from what I've seen on original Kansas City burnt ends. I think it was a documentary I saw where the BBQ joint put the burnt ends on a plate to pass around while people were in line. They described it less like cubes and more like those crispy shreds that taste so awesome. I think key is having fat to crisp up the meat edges and then the flat may work.

If you have trimmings or tallow that may help when making the flat into today's burnt ends.

Back