THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its very unusual for a ticket to be given to anyone cooking with fire. All the counties, that I have read the rules of their burn ban, allow cooking with fire even when there is a burn ban in effect. The burn ban is normally confined to open burning e.g. burn piles or burn barrels etc. In my area cops dont normally give the tickets for burning the fire department does, the cops dont generaly know the laws concerning fires.
on this side of Washington it was any open flame we could still smoke and grill though the ban is over now here.

There was talk here of banning any form of burning wood, charcoal or other materials in any manner that did not filter and cool the emissions, but, that was assuming we were gonna have a summer and the usual bad air. Since it never happened, the more stringent rules were never implemented.

About 7-8 years ago, the Montgomery county tried to ban smoke of any kind. It was supposed to be a cigarette ban and the bill was written that if anyone smelled smoke and complained, then the offending person would be ticketed (I think it was $100 for the first offense). This passed, but when it was realized that people could be ticketed for BBQs, fireplaces, and yes, even driving their cars, there was sufficient public outcry that the bill was not signed.

We have burn bans regularly in Texas. Here, that means no wood or charcoal grilling, but gas and electric are okay. The general rule is, the heat source must be able to turn off, such as shutting off a gas valve or pulling a plug.

CD

About 7-8 years ago, the Montgomery county tried to ban smoke of any kind. It was supposed to be a cigarette ban and the bill was written that if anyone smelled smoke and complained, then the offending person would be ticketed (I think it was $100 for the first offense). This passed, but when it was realized that people could be ticketed for BBQs, fireplaces, and yes, even driving their cars, there was sufficient public outcry that the bill was not signed.

I remember Chris Core discussing that. Miss him on WMAL.

Back