THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mikesm

Found some matches.
Folks, we are building a new house and I managed to get a very nice "U" shaped outdoor kitchen in the plan. It'll have a grill, side burner, sink, and bar area where people can sit and eat.

I also have decided to go with an LSG mini IVS. My GC thinks the best way to handle this would be to build in a pedestal at one of the ends of the U and sit the LSG mini there. The left side would be open so the vents and the fan etc... can attach, but the right side would butt up against island.

The hardscape in the bbq area is the same as the rest of the backyard, full range bluestone. I'm not sure how it would hold up to grease drippings etc..., but I have that problem with cooking in general. and I guess I could put a pad of some sort on the bottom near the smoker when it's in use if it was a problem.

What do people think about this? I haven't seen photos of smokers like this builtin to a island. The alternative would be to put it on casters, leave the space at the end of the U open, and then cart it back and forth from the garage, which is a decent distance, but should be manageable, though even the mini is really heavy.

thanks!
Mike

I thought I was going to "set and forget" my LSG PeeWee when I got it. Instead, I continually move it around. I would vote for keeping it on the wheels.

BTW, I LOVE my LSG PeeWee!

Congrats on the new house and outdoor kitchen! I am not familiar with Bluestone so I don't
know the texture of the surface. I have a LSG Mini Cabinet and would not want to be rolling it around on anything but a smooth surface. That being said, if I had a covered outdoor kitchen I wouldn't be rolling mine around!

Thanks everyone. Seems like it would make sense to build it in as the distance from the garage is a bit long. This sounds a little crazy, but might it be a good idea to keep on small casters on the pedestal so it could be moved around a bit?

I'd build a tray around the edge to hide the wheels from view etc.., and prevent the mini from being able to go off the edge. The reason I am thinking about this would be the ability to put a cover over the smoker. Otherwise, part of the right side would be in direct contact with the edge of the island and water will likely go down that channel. I worry about corrosion etc...

We live in CA so not that much rain, but I wouldn't be able to put a cover over it if it was bolted to the pedestal.

thx
mike

Sounds like a good plan to me, be sure to post pics of your new outdoor kitchen when it's done.

Back