THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Methos

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Hi all

You guys have inspired me to start building my own smoker.
I got my hands on a 225l (60 gal) water heater.
I am currently working on attaching the door. I have very little experience in welding so it is quite a learning curve ;) but I watched a few videos on youtube and after I got the arch going - which can take so time - I quite OK.

My question is this. The smoker will be reverse flow. The steel I got for the firebox is 5mm thick. They are cut 70 cm by 70 cm - ie 27 inch.
According to Feldon's calculator The required size is 4620.00. But the fire box I specified is 19683.00. So a size difference of 426 percent.

So the firebox is much too large. I want to know if I have to reduce the firebox size? Not looking forward to cutting the 6 plates though....

Thanks a lot.

Cheers

I'm not an expert, so hopefully one of the guys with more experience will come along soon, but that sounds like too much of a difference to me. It seems that you'll spend way too much time heating the firebox and not get much heat into the cook chamber.

But, don't rely on me :-D That's just my not-so-educated guess :becky:

I try to get my fireboxes to about 115%-125% of the Feldon recommendation and I've gone as large as 150% to accomodate a wood rack and allow for ash accumulation on long cooks without compromising the firebox volume. For a 60 gallon tank, an 18"X18"X18" works out to about 126%. A serious issue with a firebox as large as you have cut out (27" cubed) is it will be extremely heavy and with only a 60 gallon cook chamber it will be really difficult to get it balanced on a stand or trailer. I would have it cut down to make an 18"-20" cube.

Best of luck.

Back