THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For me it is more then just moving it around the block, I take it on weekends up to my lake place as well as for camping. I am heading down to the river this weekend to hang out with a bunch of friends and I got the Keg loaded up and ready. Got 2 full packers ready to rub down and go on as soon as I get there and plan on picking up Turkey breast to brine and smoke once I get there.

I will say, you get a lot of looks driving down the road with that thing. The trailer hitch was a big selling point for me, no more trying to pack a kettle grill to go on the road and get ash all over everything. I don't have really to many issues with low and slow all though I took off the seasoning last time I was making pizza when I let it get way too hot, hopefully it will not take too long to season the vents back up this weekend.

how important is portability?

For me, portability was very important. I don't have an outdoor location where it stays on a permanent basis, and when I do move it around the ground is less than smooth (lots of gravel) and doesn't make dragging it into place very much fun. Also, I find myself hauling it to friends houses, the local regional park, and various other locations as I get asked to cook for events a lot. The WSMs travel well, but the kettles don't (except for the Mothership), and I don't want to think about loading a BGE on the back of the truck by myself.

As others have stated, YMMV. It really comes down to a personal use thing.

For me, portability was very important. I don't have an outdoor location where it stays on a permanent basis, and when I do move it around the ground is less than smooth (lots of gravel) and doesn't make dragging it into place very much fun. Also, I find myself hauling it to friends houses, the local regional park, and various other locations as I get asked to cook for events a lot. The WSMs travel well, but the kettles don't (except for the Mothership), and I don't want to think about loading a BGE on the back of the truck by myself.

As others have stated, YMMV. It really comes down to a personal use thing.

i totally agree. it's a personal thing for sure.

Are you sure it is a Bubba Keg and not the new, Big Steel Keg? The Big Steel Keg does NOT come with a hitch, you have to order it separately. It does, however, come with a cover now.

I have three Eggs and a Big Steel Keg. The Keg comes with two grates and side shelves included in the price, plus it is far easier to move around than the Egg.

I have not used the Keg nearly as much as the Egg - but, I like it. If I would have bought it first, I may never have bought an Egg. That being said, I love the Egg and am glad I bought them first :)

New to the site.

Will have Keg together by Friday night and a butt and ribs on it this weekend. Will see how the low temp smoking works out as new Big Steel Keg has fixed this but paid just $299 for it so will make it work. Anyone has a Bubba and has figured out the low-n-slow please let me know.

Thanks,
SmokinQ2

could you tell us where you got it for that price.

could you tell us where you got it for that price.

Home Depot had them on clearance for the past several months... to make room for the new version (Big Steel Keg).

On the enclosed link shows a listing of locations for the Bubba keg. You'll have to make a few calls and check if any is available in your area... if you find one, grab it.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...3.564831,42.146422&output=embed"></iframe><br

The newer version is twice the price... however Amazon has the Bubba keg listed for over 700 dollars.

Thought I wanted to upgrade my Chargriller to an XL BGE. I think I want a Klose instead...

24x42_1door2009.jpg

I don't think HD will get the BSK after they sell out the bubba keg. According to a former insider on the bubba keg forum, once HD is out that's it for any kegs. I hope I'm wrong though. Apparently you will only find them at Sears and Ace HW stores, mostly an online then ship to your store thing. Earlier this year I had the Charbroil double chef water smoker, which is a WSM knockoff. It was horrible inefficient and very hot to the touch, even the paint started peeling off the bottom portion. I realized I wanted an insulated cooker but didn't want to spend $700+ for a BGE. One day I wondered into the local HD and saw the Bubba Keg. Never heard of it before, so I went online and started reading about.. rest is history.

I also have a big steel keg and love it. Never used a big green egg, so can't compare. Got mine at Ace Hardware.

I might have to stop by the local HD store...nothing is coming up on the HD website. I have a primo oval xl, but if I could score a bubba keg on the cheap, I think I would have to do it...then I would have an excuse to sell the Primo and get me another stickburner for the low and slows and use the keg as the grill! Has anyone been able to find the bubba keg online at HD????

Would bet most if not all Kegs are long gone at HD. Every deal website on the net was all over that months ago.

I don't know which is better. I do know I got a BKCG for less than $400 and it is a high quality cooker. I can't compare it to an BGE, but I can say I am extremely satisfied with my BKCG.

I saw one today and it looks like the hinge mechanism and the gasket is far better then my Primo....I am getting a bit irritated every time I cook pizza and my bands loosen up - I have the bands tightened so tight I think the bolts will snap, but it still moves when heating up for pizza....it looks like the bubba does not have this issue..I also like their gasket (if it works as good as it looks?)

I was all teed up to buy a BGE last month. After doing some homework, I noticed the BSK creeping into many of the threads. From what I read, I couldn't justify the difference in price for a comparably equipped BGE based on overall performance. I ended up picking up the floor model BSK at the local ACE hardware for 20% off ($480). I'm new to smoking, but have had little trouble (knock on wood) keeping it low and slow. I'm thrilled with my decision and feel like I got a great value.

Back