Brisket?

Whitewookie

is one Smokin' Farker
Doing my first brisket in a few days and I was wondering....

Cook whole or separate the flat and point...

Those who cook whole, do you the separate before slicing, or just slice it up...

I checked out YouTube and it seems everybody has a different method.

Thanks for your help.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I cook whole, if making burnt ends I slice flat and chunk up the point at the end. I wrap around 160 degrees. Start checking for tenderness around 195. Usually a tad over 200 when done. Let it rest a hour or ao. Don't expect your 1st cook to come out an award winner. Takes practice on brisket.

They all work. I normally keep them together. If you want the ultimate amount of control then cook them separate.

Probe the thickest part of the flat. Go by feel. I've had briskets probe tender at 198...others go to 209. Have fun. Don't get stressed. Let the meat rest when it's done.

If this is your first brisket, my recommendation would be for you to keep it simple and cook whole. Trimming and separating each muscle and cooking independently is what I would consider to be an “advanced technique”, requiring completion of the 101 course “cooking whole brisket”.

When slicing a whole brisket I separate the point and flat before slicing. I usually slice the flat in half “with the grain” too so they’re not overly long for sandwiches and such. I then slice each half of the flat across the grain.

Thanks for the help guys! I think right now I’m leaning toward cooking it whole.

I guess I’ll decide on separating when it’s done.

I’m loosely following Bill Gillespie’s “Hot and Fast” recipe, except for rub I’m using Oak Ridge “Black Ops”.

Which brings up another question... Do you guys inject or just rub and let it rock???

VR,
Harold

I have always done my whole.I do have black ops in my cabinet and use it. Most of the time I use kosher salt and Black pepper.

Mark

I cook whole. No injection. Just rubs and go.
Sometimes separate point and flat after its done sometimes not. It just depends. Doesn't make a difference either way in my opinion.

If this is your first brisket, my recommendation would be for you to keep it simple and cook whole. Trimming and separating each muscle and cooking independently is what I would consider to be an “advanced technique”, requiring completion of the 101 course “cooking whole brisket”.

When slicing a whole brisket I separate the point and flat before slicing. I usually slice the flat in half “with the grain” too so they’re not overly long for sandwiches and such. I then slice each half of the flat across the grain.

Thanks. Great info.

Do a search for BluDawg brisket...helped me with my first (successful) brisket.

I'm a beginner when it comes to brisket (I can't even get a full packer around here). But I tried with a couple of smaller pieces with limited success. I did the last larger piece using Bludawg's method and it came out great! KISS

I use to separate, but ive started trimming out the fat between the point and flat just enough so it stays in one piece, then dump a lot of rub in the cavity. Flat (not fat side as i trim it off) side down seems to help it not dry out too much since my pellet smokers have lower temps toward the bottom.

BluDawg, S&P maybe a little garlic or montreal seasoning if I am feeling crazy. Seperate after cooking. Half family like flat other point. All love burnt ends. So next day cube point and make burnt ends...nice left overs! pratice practice practice. BTW if it turns out not too good makes BEST CHILI EVER with leftovers. Freeze until cold weather :-D

Back