Brisket with moist soft bark line Franklin Bbq

Spritz... spritz like your life depended on it.

I used to spritz with a Worcestershire/H2O mixture, but have gotten away from it for a while. Possibly will re-visit. Sometimes the bark on the end of the point is just too crispy (and I do realize that makes that area a candidate for burnt ends, but I'm not really into those).

I have never seen soft bark that was actually still "bark". What Franklin ends up cutting is not soft. Neither is it crusty. If it is soft it is mushy and can be rubbed off with contact especially while slicing.

My goal is a great color with a sticky, firm bark.

I think a lot of this comes down to symantics and how each of our definitions differ.

Here is where I like to wrap mine (pic below). If I am doing just a couple I'll use paper but when doing multiple I use foil pans as they fit in my hot hold (Catergator). I rest for a minimum of 4 hours.

275 for about 6 hours, wrap and finished within the next two usually.

f20aa3572aa473af51fc50a13d512101.jpg

Here is where I like to wrap mine (pic below). If I am doing just a couple I'll use paper but when doing multiple I use foil pans as they fit in my hot hold (Catergator). I rest for a minimum of 4 hours.

275 for about 6 hours, wrap and finished within the next two usually.

f20aa3572aa473af51fc50a13d512101.jpg

Well into page 2 of a thread about brisket and this is the first pic! Thank you sir!

I've noticed when I spritz my brisket with a pickle juice wosty mixture that my bark tends to become sticky and some of it slides off. I attributed it to the acidic effect of the vinegar.

Wrapping in BP just after the bark sets is the most important factor IMO. I've nailed many briskets, some I spritzed, some nada. Nothing wrong with spritzing especially if you want to prolong the bark from setting so you can get some extra smoke. If you wrap with 2 or more layers of BP, you may have to let the bark set a tad more because IMO you are not gonna get much moisture evaporation at that point and the bark may become a little too mushy. Internal temps need not apply either IMO. Always gone fat cap down in my vertical cookers.. may have to try flipping one of these days and see what happens.

I respectfully disagree

Larry

Me also.... Because a prime Brisket has a lot more fat in it than a select. The lower the grade of meat. The less fat content and therefore the drier it can turn out if all things are equal and your not adding moisture to it. JM2C

This looks like a cool device that may help in creating the perfect bark. Has anyone tried it?

I tried it with the hot and fast method and a few hour in i think someone stole it because when i went to go check on the brisket, it was gone. What i don't understand is why they didn't steal the brisket as well.

I tried it with the hot and fast method and a few hour in i think someone stole it because when i went to go check on the brisket, it was gone. What i don't understand is why they didn't steal the brisket as well.

Go figure. You can't fix stoopid!

Back