THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guys, chill out! Did I say anything about a judge trying to determine the angle the meat was cut at? Do you think I've never cooked at a comp?
To be clear, I was wondering if you/me/we as cooks could salvage an overcooked brisket by cutting it at 45 degrees. That's all. Quit being so combative, we'd all do better together!

Hey, my apologies. I don't believe that either of us were being combative. Its apparent to me now that we did not understand your post. It came across to me, the way that Vince described in his post. No combativeness or aggression here. Just a misinterpretation.

Quit being so combative, we'd all do better together!

Arlin, I don't think either of us were being combative but rather pointing out that things like why a cook does what he/she does shouldn't have anything to do with the score given. We both qualified our comments as being non-combative (not being wiseguys).

So are we talking about bias-cut or leaning the knife more towards the line of the grain? That was my question.

I've been reading and interpreting the comments here as being only with regard to the angle of the slice relative to the grain but with the slices still being at 90° to the cutting surface.

uesd to do that until I heard a judge say that they notice when cooks do it, and then several other judges chimed in about noticing it as well. they didnt really say that they did or didnt like it or anything like that, but I figured better to not do things that they "notice".

but yeah it makes getting prettier slices easier.

Back