THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A lot of folks like big briskets. For me, I can adjust my cooking time for size.. I'm more concerned with a nice consistent flat and marbling. No problem cooking anything between 10 and 20 lbs.

A lot of folks like big briskets. For me, I can adjust my cooking time for size.. I'm more concerned with a nice consistent flat and marbling. No problem cooking anything between 10 and 20 lbs.

Same here, but I do like to be in that 14-16 lb range, but the weight certainly is not that much of a factor in selection.

17-18 pounder, only if it's thick in the flat.. I've had large briskets with thinner flats, and big ol' honkin' points on them !

Do you guys pre trim your brisket for turn in sized slices? the best slices on all the briskets I do seem to be about 14" long on a big packer.

I prefer them 15-16 lbs, but they are very hard to find that size around here. I see a lot between 10-12.

My wife and I cook two 7 to 8 lb CAB choice brisket flats for contests. The brisket I took most of my slices from last weekend and thankfully earned my wife and I $600 for finishing first in the category, weighed 7.5 lbs and was extremely uniform in size. I am curious, why does everyone cook such large briskets?

I buy CAB’s when I can find them. I only know of one place around here that can actually get them. If not, I go with angus choice from Sam’s. I prefer the whole packer so I can get burnt ends. It’s not always the case, but sometimes the larger briskets have a thicker flat as well. Good briskets and decent ribs are scarce around here!

My wife and I cook two 7 to 8 lb CAB choice brisket flats for contests. The brisket I took most of my slices from last weekend and thankfully earned my wife and I $600 for finishing first in the category, weighed 7.5 lbs and was extremely uniform in size. I am curious, why does everyone cook such large briskets?

Was it a KCBS contest?

Because when you trim down a 16lb+ brisket you can create a very even thick flat. Smaller briskets you are kind of stuck with the thin tapered edges

Because when you trim down a 16lb+ brisket you can create a very even thick flat. Smaller briskets you are kind of stuck with the thin tapered edges

While I agree with what you're saying, Chris, it is also true that many times the larger (17+ lb.) briskets have a very thick fat cap, sometimes at much as 1-1/2 to 2 inches thick. I'm sure you've seen this a time or two yourself.

Larger briskets can be fantastic but not when the packing company is just loading it with extra fat.

Back