THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRRH

Knows what a fatty is.
Greetings

Brisket Odyssey with Pron….

Last week it was -18C (0F) in Eastern Canada and I decided to try out my recently built Cook Shack with it's DIY offset stick burner to cook a Brisket based on Aaron Franklin’s suggestions. Didn't start too well,…. the combination lock was frozen, my torches were inside, and I ended up using a crow bar to rip the lock off. The brisket went well for 4 hours at around 260F and I wrapped in foil when it hit 150F. Rather than sit in my cold cook shack I put it in a 275F kitchen oven with a probe to bring it out at 203F.

This is when it got interesting…..about 2 hours or so later, while sitting in an adjacent room with a friend over wine, he noticed that my kitchen and dining room were filled with smoke. It turns out that the temperature controller on my 1.5 yr old Whirlpool oven failed. When I opened the door it must have been well over 500+F and the thermocouple shut it down. I was sure the brisket was toast but it not only survived, but it was the best piece of meat I've had…very moist, & delicious. Total cooking and burning time 😝 was about 7 hours and internal temp was 205F. Lessons learned: 1. Combination locks don't do well in Canadian winters, 2. Don't leave an oven unattended, 3. Many “"modern day” appliances are worthless… If I choose to replace the electronics the quote was $450 ( on a $1000 range !#*#!) 4. There are many ways to BBQ a delicious brisket.

Best wishes for a healthy, happy, smokey, holiday season
Terry

Attachments

• IMG_3736.jpg
    IMG_3736.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
nice brisket. most of us just undercook our first one to a rubbery piece of crap. Nice to see someone going the extra mile to entertain us. :thumb:

Back