THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

irishboy209

Full Fledged Farker
I bought my first brisket today its a prime cut is 12 and a half pounds well I most likely really take 18 hours to smoke? dinner will be at 4 p.m. on Christmas Day any suggestions when I should start the cook

It depends a lot on your cooker and the temperature you are running. Also if you wrap in foil - paper. On my BGE running between 225 and 250 wrapped around 150. It would take approximately 14 to 16 hours.

^^^ totally agree. We need more details. Just bumping the temp from 225 to 275 will shave a few hours.

sorry I have a pellet Cooker I will keep temperatures at 250 wrapped in foil once I hit the color I want probably around 160. The brisket is around 12 and a half pounds dinner time is at 4 p.m.

Others have told me it should only take about 8 hours but I have no idea

I would count on 10 hours to cook just in case it's a stubborn one. If it's done early it will hold for hours. If it's running behind bump up the heat.

With my pellet i put on the night before right before i go to sleep. Let ride all night at 200-225. Then when i wake up see where its at and adjust the pit temp.

sorry I have a pellet Cooker I will keep temperatures at 250 wrapped in foil once I hit the color I want probably around 160. The brisket is around 12 and a half pounds dinner time is at 4 p.m.

Others have told me it should only take about 8 hours but I have no idea

Can I ask what type of pellet cooker you have?

I run my Traeger at 225 for butt and brisket and it always turns out well. I just bought a 15.5 lb prime packer from Sam's last night for a family dinner next week as well.

I usually paper around 160 and pull about 200-205 when it's probe tender. The problem is I can't remember how long the last one took since its been so long since I've cooked one.

Most of the briskets I've done are 15lbs+. With the pit running 240-265 and foiling with the meat at 165, I usually put it on 13 hrs before dinner. This allows for rest time and wiggle room for a long stall. So I agree with those who've said 10-12.

Just remember bbq is done when it's done

I was thinking that also, more smoke.

This is how I roll with my FEC-100. I cook at 220 starting around 10-11pm the night before. When I get up around 6 or 7 am I will usually wrap it based on color where I want it, and kick the cooker temp up to 250 or 275 depending on how my internal temp looks.

I have a cambro so I can hold it for hours (you can do the same w/ a cooler and wrap the brisket in towels).

Brisket holds temp so well that I prefer to get it done early versus worrying about timing it just right.

Back