Brisket for 60

only 1 meat? sides? buffet style or served?

3 should get you close 4 would be safe

I am responsible for the meat, sides will be provided by others. Thanks for the input. Probably buffet, but we may serve the meat to portion it out. I will probably do 4. I plan to do try to do them all at the same time on my YS640. I would rather have too much, so as not to run out.

I am responsible for the meat, sides will be provided by others. Thanks for the input. Probably buffet, but we may serve the meat to portion it out. I will probably do 4. I plan to do try to do them all at the same time on my YS640. I would rather have too much, so as not to run out.

I would suggest marking each brisket so who ever is manning the slicing station will have no doubt at to the grain direction. And don't get too far ahead with the slicing so it will stay as moist as possible. I like to have a spray bottle with warm au jus on the cutting table, and a couple of sauce options. I also have the slicing station at the very end of the line, this way the plate will be mostly full with sides.

I have done a run of briskets on my YS640. Does brisket like a boss. Good luck. There were some handy suggestions on slicing, spritizing and keeping the meat at the end of the serving line that I thought were pretty good.

I would suggest marking each brisket so who ever is manning the slicing station will have no doubt at to the grain direction. And don't get too far ahead with the slicing so it will stay as moist as possible. I like to have a spray bottle with warm au jus on the cutting table, and a couple of sauce options. I also have the slicing station at the very end of the line, this way the plate will be mostly full with sides.

Great suggestions! never thought about putting the meat at the end of the table :clap:

Since your on the topic maybe you all can help me with this as well. So it’s said, the rule of thumb, raw weight, minus 25% is approx cooked weight. Then some say 1/4# servings. I use 1/3# servings.... so 18# raw minus 25% now you have about 13.5# cooked. At 1/3# servings that’s 40.... now, no way 13# of brisket is serving 40 people. So what is a more realistic way to judge my amount of raw meat?

Since your on the topic maybe you all can help me with this as well. So it’s said, the rule of thumb, raw weight, minus 25% is approx cooked weight. Then some say 1/4# servings. I use 1/3# servings.... so 18# raw minus 25% now you have about 13.5# cooked. At 1/3# servings that’s 40.... now, no way 13# of brisket is serving 40 people. So what is a more realistic way to judge my amount of raw meat?

First off, if you are getting a 75% yield on your cooked brisket either you are doing something magical or the math is wrong. I get approximately 45-50% yield on my briskets. 50 to 55% on my butts and a 70% yield on my boneless chicken leg meat.

If you can control the portions, 14 lbs or so of brisket should feed 40 people. To be sure figure on 20 lbs of cooked meat and you will have left overs. But you will need 40 lbs raw to start.

First off, if you are getting a 75% yield on your cooked brisket either you are doing something magical or the math is wrong. I get approximately 45-50% yield on my briskets. 50 to 55% on my butts and a 70% yield on my boneless chicken leg meat.

If you can control the portions, 14 lbs or so of brisket should feed 40 people. To be sure figure on 20 lbs of cooked meat and you will have left overs. But you will need 40 lbs raw to start.

Exactly! Math is off. I can’t find the thread, read it here in a read only section for beginners but it doesn’t jive.... that’s why I’m asking the question... to be educated.

Put it this way, I knew better... cooked for 60 last weekend. I cooked,(raw weight) 50# brisket, 65# butts and 15 racks st Louis cut. These animals ate every slice of brisket, every Burnt end, 3/4 of the pork and 12 or 15 racks.... I imagine that should have fed way more than sixty... three May have been some gluttony.... lol

So again, how does one accurately judge raw weight needed?

There are several factors that go into the SWAG amount. Start with the crowd you are cooking for, are they young football players, little old ladies or some where in between. Then consider the duration that it is available for them to eat. Kinda graze all day or one plate thing. The size of the plate also has a deference.

I cooked for a men's retreat and they said there were 40 men attending. It was actually 25 guys, but I ran out of food. A little research found that they used these 15 inch oval plates and guys being guys filled the plate, got full and threw away half a plate of food.

Also consider what else is being served, sides, appetizers, ect.

So portion control is the biggest thing

You had enough meat to feed way more than 40 people. Wonder how much ended up in the trash??

There are several factors that go into the SWAG amount. Start with the crowd you are cooking for, are they young football players, little old ladies or some where in between. Then consider the duration that it is available for them to eat. Kinda graze all day or one plate thing. The size of the plate also has a deference.

I cooked for a men's retreat and they said there were 40 men attending. It was actually 25 guys, but I ran out of food. A little research found that they used these 15 inch oval plates and guys being guys filled the plate, got full and threw away half a plate of food.

Also consider what else is being served, sides, appetizers, ect.

So portion control is the biggest thing

You had enough meat to feed way more than 40 people. Wonder how much ended up in the trash??
Thanks! I never considered plate size.

Like I said, they had three racks and two butts left. They brought to go containers. Took the sauces, squeeze bottles everything. I guess it’s a compliment.
Do you find your final cooked weight percentages hold constant more often than not? I’ll have to try them as a guide and see if it helps me. Thanks again!

@ toys4dlr... I’m a little slow today! Lmao How much went in the garbage on the first plate... understood.... small plates next time.

Back