THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C

ColdSmoke

A friend has asked me to cook up a 5.5# brisket flat. He bought it seperated (no point) and cryo packed.

I want to throw it on the drum this weekend but have no idea about cooking this thing. It has a nice 1/2" even layer of fat on on side. I assume that I want to thin that down a little bit (maybe 1/4"). Do I cook it fat side up or fat side down?

What temp. is brisket best cooked at? For how long/what temp?

Anything special needed to be done? Injecting, foiling while over heat?

At this point I plan to dry rub 24 hrs in advance and cook it up. I hope don't ruin my buddies chuck 'o beef.

Since it is a flat only, I would foil it with a little apple juice or beef broth at 165* for the remainder of the cook.
Since you are cooking on the drum, I would cook fat side down. You might even want to flip it a time or two.

I have been cooking high heat lately, but have not with just a flat. So maybe go 225-235* or so.

I did a flat on my drum last Saturday.....did it at 300-325....started fat side down, flipped after an hour....took the meat to 165 then foiled...pulled from smoker at 195, about 1 1/2 hours in foil....let rest in foil so residual heat brought that temp up...came out good...bark was missing though....

I cook flats rubbed with Slabs Wow Your Cow beef rub fat side down, at 250*, until 160* -165*. I then foil with a broth made of three Tbs Steve Raichlen's Honey Balsamic glaze mixed with 1/4 cup strong black coffee. I cook it til it reaches 190* - 195* internal, then rest for at least 1 hr.

My wife loves this brisket, and the juice that it makes is incredible.

I got this recipe from another site, and I can't remember who the original poster was, but I thank him.

Raichlins Honey Basalmic Glaze

/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce

Boil over medium heat, simmer till thick and syrupy reduced to 1/2 cup, about 6-8 minutes.

Back