Brisket - First Cook on the MAK 1 Star

bluebie

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
jack
Hey folks,
First post, first cook on the MAK. I decided to start it off right with a brisket. I've been smoking on a kamado joe for about 2 years now, but I've only made brisket once. I have this terrible habit of trying to plan bbq for a specific time, and usually ending up with an angry, hungry wife. No good! So, trying the overnight this time.

Anyway, I decided to dip my toes into the pellet pooper world, so we'll see how it goes. The plan:

The brisket: 12.5lb usda prime vacpac from costco

1800: dry brine/season with killer hog's brisket rub with worchestershire binder
0000: get it on the smoker at 225
????: take it off and wrap in butcher paper at the stall
cook to probe tender, thinking I'll start checking on it at 200*
rest until dinner time

I haven't decided if I want to take a stab at cutting the point off and making burnt ends, or just carve it up whole. I've never eaten them before, let alone made them, so it might be a challenge, not really sure.

Open questions:
Fat cap up or down on the MAC?
Cook on the upper or lower grate?
Water pan if on the upper grate?

It's supposed to dip into the mid 40's over night here in Chicago, so that might play a role , I don't know.

Enough yacking, here's some progress pics so far. Crappy trim, probably too aggressive, I don't know what I'm doing :doh:

LPaPxLe.jpg

Ue4MR7c.jpg

UwFw6uR.jpg

faSgXOi.jpg

S40e6Vd.jpg

I would recommend keeping the smoker at 245* or less if you’re going to cook on the bottom grate - I’ve had minor scorching issues from radiant heat off the deflector plate when cooking at temps like 275*. Alternatively, you can cook on the top shelf as you mentioned. Higher in the cook chamber also runs a little hotter...for example if you set your grill at 245* it’ll be something like 255-260* on the upper rack, in my experience. A wise man told me that 245* is the last temp setting before the fan kicks up to a higher speed so keep it there or under for maximum smoke. I would cook fat side down since that’s the direction the heat is coming from. I’ve never bothered with water pans in my 2*.

Good luck :thumb:

Nothing wrong with that trim job. I go smoke 2 hours, 245 2 hours and then 295 the rest of the way. I probably should cook overnight so I can go to 225 after 2 hours but I don't. That same wise man told me 295 puts out more smoke than 300 as the fan goes faster at 300.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good advice, thank you guys. Planning on fat side down on the bottom grate at 225 (so i can sleep!) Still debating the burnt ends situation

Ended up putting it on about 0100, just took it off at 1000 and wrapped it, internal temp was about 159*

qTXsLTh.jpg

3Riw51Z.jpg

Get a spray bottle and spray the paper down before you wrap. Makes it easier and a tighter wrap.
Looks good so far.

Get a spray bottle and spray the paper down before you wrap. Makes it easier and a tighter wrap.

Looks good so far.
Never heard of this. Wouldn't that keep the paper from breathing? Do you get a softer bark like you would with foil? Inquiring minds...

Still cruising along, 180* now almost 14 hours later. Getting close. I turned the temp up to 300.

Pulled it at 200*, it probably could have used just a little more time, but this was definitely the best bbq I've ever made.

Learnings:
1. I'd start earlier, still felt pressured by the dinner clock.
2. I'd turn the temp up to ~300ish right after wrapping, I think I spent too much time sitting in the stall.
3. I thought I trimmed too aggressively, but it was actually almost perfect. I think next time I would cut the point away from the flat a little and get some of the excess fat out of there, and apply rub to that area.
4. Seasoning was a little too salty, I'd put the rub on thinner if using the same kind again.
5. I was surprised at the pellet consumption. Between seasoning the grill and this cook, I burned an entire 20lb bag.

Overall good cook, definitely 100x better than my first brisket.

FC3jJX6.jpg

iwY61Ti.jpg

Never heard of this. Wouldn't that keep the paper from breathing? Do you get a softer bark like you would with foil? Inquiring minds...

No, perfect bark. I spray with my spritz and it really helps the paper adhere to the brisket for a tight wrap.

Still cruising along, 180* now almost 14 hours later. Getting close. I turned the temp up to 300.
Once I wrap (165 IT give or take) I go to 300-325 because I want to get er done and know once wrapped it's going to be done in in 2hrs give or take 30min.

Back