THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mattb82

Full Fledged Farker
So I've been cooking an a BGE XL for the last two years and ordered a shirley fab rf 24x55 coming in January. My question is how to get better bark on my brisket. My rub is only Salt and Heavy Pepper with a little granulated garlic mixed in and steady temp at 255 on the egg. I've read that increased heat and the chemical reaction with smoke will help so I'm curious if the shirley will help since its a true smoker and more smoke and heat will hit the top of the meat as opposed to the egg where I really don't believe you can get the same type of smoke on the meat you can on a true smoker. Any suggestions are welcome, Im looking for that thick dark black bark I keep seeing from you guys.

Again my process is salt, heavy pepper, light granulated garlic at 255 on the egg until done and I typically don't wrap with anything. I get a nice flavor but the color is off and just doesn't seem right to me.

Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving and thanks for the input

I have an XL egg too and the bark is different than my Shirley. A stick burner will always cook different, but try hotter on the egg egg as I've found that helps.

Thanks fnbish, do you get that nice dark black thick bark on the Shirley? It's going to be a long wait until January when mine gets here. Im going to give 285 a shot on the egg

I have an acorn(its like an egg). The bark doesnt develop as fast. I can do a brisket the whole cook no wrap. I also flip it at least once to get some more direct on the top.

That being said i much prefer brisket on the stick burner.

Now i will say im not looking for dark, black, crusty, heavy bark.

I'm looking for mahogany, sticky, tacky, tender bark.

Just my preference

I did this brisket on the XL egg. Decent bark any darker would be too crusty.

Tried 3 separate time but I cant seem to upload pics to this site. It says somethhing about a missing security token. IDK...:tsk:

ok, Here are the pics. This was cooked at 275.

Attachments

• 2015-06-21 12.58.38.jpg
    2015-06-21 12.58.38.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 2015-06-21 20.55.03.jpg
    2015-06-21 20.55.03.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 150
  • 2015-06-21 20.53.24.jpg
    2015-06-21 20.53.24.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 150
Thanks fnbish, do you get that nice dark black thick bark on the Shirley? It's going to be a long wait until January when mine gets here. Im going to give 285 a shot on the egg

Yes, any stick burner really produces nice bark. And the higher Temps help too

Yair . . .

I'm looking for mahogany, sticky, tacky, tender bark.

Yep, that's what we like.

We dislike hot brisket, it's mostly sliced and frozen for use on sandwiches and in salads . . . the tacky tender bark works a treat.

I cook 275 to 325 until probe tender in a cut down drum.

Cheers.

Back