THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

qnbiker

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Lew
We're having a couple over Saturday for brisket so I went to Sam's Club to get a little 12 lb packer. They had 2 15.5 pounders; one Prime and one Choice CAB. The Choice looked better so I put it in my cart and asked the butcher if he had a 12 pounder. He went in the back and came back with another Choice - said it was his last one.

It was probably the prettiest brisket I have ever seen! Beautiful marbling, almost no trimming needed on the non-fat cap side, the flat had uniform thickness, well shaped point, very limber. Perfect! The perfect...20 lb. brisket. I wanted a 12 pounder and he brings me a 20 pounder!

I'm cooking for 4 people; even the 15.5 pounder is way too big. I put the 20 pounder back and went to the front of the store. Then I went back and swapped them out, walked halfway to the front again and finally came back for the 15.5 pounder and bought it. Maybe I could have bought them both and put the big one in the freezer, but there are butts, ribs, and a turkey breast from previous sales and there is no room for more meat.

I run into these decisions a lot where I can be prudent or I can go wild. Next time, I'm going wild.

Wild was correct. Don’t fee bad... we all fumble occasionally. I sure do. So the moral of the story is “buy a good ‘en when you can.” :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I would have ought them both :-D

Of, if I could only buy one I would have gotten the bigger one. I prefer to cook bigger briskets. Leftovers get vac-u-sucked and frozen for chili, tacos, hash, etc.

I would have gone with Big Daddy brisket and farmed out the leftovers that I didn't want to save for myself.

Send the guests home with a plate full of delicious brisket, and save the rest for:

Chili
Stuffed Spuds
Nachos
ABTs
Pizza
Soup

The list can go on. :-D

I am sure it will be good but the big one sounded a whole lot better I think I would’ve gotten that and enjoyed the leftovers

The wife just asked me how big the brisket was. Why? Well, my friend is sick and she loves your brisket, so I thought we could take some over. AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! I'll never buy the small one again.

Do you have a vacuum sealer like a Foodsaver? I vac pack leftover brisket for sandwiches, chili, etc and it takes up less space.

Do you have a vacuum sealer like a Foodsaver? I vac pack leftover brisket for sandwiches, chili, etc and it takes up less space.

Quick easy meals on the week days too. Throw the vac sealed bag in simmering water for 10 minutes and you have a great bbq meal on off nights.

Back