THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ECB is in it's 3rd summer, still functional

Haven't made it over to this forum in far too long, startin' a family is busy work! 3 years ago I started smoked bbq and got many mod suggestions from the helpful folks here at BBQ Brethren. I already had a mini weber charcoal grill for tailgaiting that I used for my pit, works great once the ECB supports are moved to the outside. Now I just set the ECB supports on bricks to elevate it a bit off of the weber pit. Makes for very easy refueling too as all I need to do is (carefully) lift the ECB off the pit, refill the pit with the chim smoker, and set the ECB back onto the bricks. (if you use the water pan be careful to keep the ECB level when moving it or you'll dump water into your coals). Other helpful suggestions from the forum included drilling out top vent holes and fashioning a make-shift vent cover to control airflow, the weber pit has vents on the bottom of it already. I also drilled in a side hole the size of a cork, stuffed the cork in and drilled a narrow hole to fit a thermometer right below the level of top grate (cork will need replacing every few cooks). Biggest challenges I've had w/ ECB are: it has thin metal walls so it's best to use on nice warm day with low wind, otherwise it can struggle to maintain temp, and at times the temp does not seem to stay as consistent as what I hear WSM can do so I usually visit it every so often and adjust vents and fuel as needed.

Once I had it modified I relied on some good smoked bbq cookbooks/history of bbq books to get me started. I have a small collection now, lol, but "Serious Barbeque" by Adam Perry Lang is probably the one I use the most for recipes and preps if I have time (his stuff gets pretty involved) but when I put in the time I'm usually very pleased with the results and never have leftovers. The ECB may not be the most convenient, but for the price and a few mods, I've been happy with it. It's great to fun to create food in your backyard on a $40 cooker that can blow away (or at least compete with--depending on your region--) local restaurant bbq!

Hope that helps, enjoy your modified ECB!

Rody,
I'm a big fan of starting "cheap" and if I like, moving up.
My original Brinkman had an open bottom and really no real temp control. The new ones are much better.
Try it out. If you get hooked, find a Weber Kettle on CL. If you like that get a WSM and so on. Keep everything covered and sell it for what you bought it for.
Or, just clog up your backyard.. Like me! :heh:
Best of luck!

Haven't made it over to this forum in far too long, startin' a family is busy work! 3 years ago I started smoked bbq and got many mod suggestions from the helpful folks here at BBQ Brethren. I already had a mini weber charcoal grill for tailgaiting that I used for my pit, works great once the ECB supports are moved to the outside. Now I just set the ECB supports on bricks to elevate it a bit off of the weber pit. Makes for very easy refueling too as all I need to do is (carefully) lift the ECB off the pit, refill the pit with the chim smoker, and set the ECB back onto the bricks. (if you use the water pan be careful to keep the ECB level when moving it or you'll dump water into your coals). Other helpful suggestions from the forum included drilling out top vent holes and fashioning a make-shift vent cover to control airflow, the weber pit has vents on the bottom of it already. I also drilled in a side hole the size of a cork, stuffed the cork in and drilled a narrow hole to fit a thermometer right below the level of top grate (cork will need replacing every few cooks). Biggest challenges I've had w/ ECB are: it has thin metal walls so it's best to use on nice warm day with low wind, otherwise it can struggle to maintain temp, and at times the temp does not seem to stay as consistent as what I hear WSM can do so I usually visit it every so often and adjust vents and fuel as needed.

Once I had it modified I relied on some good smoked bbq cookbooks/history of bbq books to get me started. I have a small collection now, lol, but "Serious Barbeque" by Adam Perry Lang is probably the one I use the most for recipes and preps if I have time (his stuff gets pretty involved) but when I put in the time I'm usually very pleased with the results and never have leftovers. The ECB may not be the most convenient, but for the price and a few mods, I've been happy with it. It's great to fun to create food in your backyard on a $40 cooker that can blow away (or at least compete with--depending on your region--) local restaurant bbq!

Hope that helps, enjoy your modified ECB!

Thank's for all the info Saucit! I'm mounting the ECB on my kettle real similiar to you. I'll have to look into getting that book "Serious BBQ".

Thank's again:thumb:

Roby

Back