THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

midnight,

are you trying to push it thru the little hole in the top of the can or are you removing the entire top first?

:mrgreen:[/quote]

Just the little hole..don't want to spill any beer ya know. :)

I am no scientest, I don't even play one on TV, but my understanding is that the brine adds moisture through osmosis. It can add flavor also if the brine has herbs and spices added.

In my experience, injecting can add a more intense flavor because it is not as diluted as a brine might be.

Congrats on post # 100 bigmofo!!!!!!!!

Now you've all really got me confused. I thinks me will brine me self for a while and see if I can't make heads or tails out of all this.

markbet said:
Bigmista said:
markbet said:
I am doing pulled pork this weekend that the receipe calls for brining, using cranberry & apple juice, with a select few seasonings added, then it marinates for several hours. Right before it goes on the cooker it gets injected with cranberry juice. It is from the receipe section off this site. I bet it will taste as good as it sounds. Anyone tried this receipe out yet?

That sounds more like a marinade than a brine. Trying to picture the apple juice and cranberry juice with all of that salt. Don't know what kind of reaction that causes. Remember, rule of thumb for a brine is it should have enough salt to float an egg in it.

Mista

I don't know BigMista, that is what the receipe calls for. Who ever posted it said that they received marriage proposals because it was so good. I will find out Saturday when I try it. The meat is already in the brine. I don't need any marriage proposals though. :wink:

Markbet - I've tried that brine recipie before. I didn't think it was really that great. At least not worth all of the effort I put into it for what I got out. I mean it was good, yeah, but so is a dry rub and a good smoke... I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after you give it a try. I used sea salt.

Also, I was thinking that all that cranberry juice would have been MUCH better off in a glass with some vodka than hosting a swimming pool for a butt... :D

Shock......I will be glad to let you know how it turns out. I was hoping that I would get a reply that it was a really great receipe. Oh well. I wonder if I should skip the injecting of the cranberry juice and just use a dry rub instead? Decisions decisions. The vodka cocktail sounds good too.

It seems that people are speaking as if brining, injecting and marinading are the same thing. That isn't the case. Right?

They are three quite different processes,
injecting just like it sounds,
marnade, a mixture that meat would set in to season the outside
brinning, a mixture of water, salt and spices that uses osmosis to put flavor and moisture deep into the meat structure.

They are three quite different processes,
injecting just like it sounds,
marnade, a mixture that meat would set in to season the outside
brinning, a mixture of water, salt and spices that uses osmosis to put flavor and moisture deep into the meat structure.

Ya see Jim? I told you we kept you around here for something.

Mark said:
Hey Neil;

I'm trying to figure out your hat. Is it a raw rack of lamb?

It's not a hat, it is the Hess Lake Farms Rib Fest "Crown"! Those are babyback bones. At the initial rib fest we only had a trophy so one of the guys got creative and made the covetted crown after a night of babyback gluttony.

Back