THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dweverett

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Bill
I can't decide if I showed incredible restraint or made a decision that should get me banned from here but regardless, I recently bought a 24" Breeo fire pit and skipped the sear plate. I didn't even follow the "go big or go home" advice and buy the 30". :icon_blush:

Jokes aside, I really didn't think I'd cook on it so skipped the sear plate to make the opening a little wider. I can add a grate later if I change my mind.

I've had three fires in it now and would highly recommend it to anyone that does want to play around with grilling over a pit -- or just wants a really fantastic fire pit.

The wood I was using was quite dry which obviously helped but all three times the fire lit extremely quickly combining that with the great airflow of the design. The smokeless concept works really well and, somewhat surprisingly based on what I'd read about smokeless designs, it puts out serious heat.

As I said, as much as I like the idea of cooking on one I know that I probably won't do it. But it would be a seriously fun toy for the folks that would.

2021052020420152--7539743901011164406-IMG_5164_HEIC-XL.jpg

Well this is a timely post!

I have a Chuckwagon Open Fire cook-off I’m entered in......tomorrow.
They are supplying a Breeo pit with the Outpost grilling attachment.

I’ve cooked on lots of open fire pits, but never a smokeless one, let alone a Breeo.

What differences should I expect as compared to an regular Fire pit?

Last edited:

I’ve cooked on lots of open fire pits, but never a smokeless one, let along a Breeo.

I watched a smokeless firepit build a few days ago
Due to the Air flow, I would suspect they would burn hotter for same size fire, so maybe go a touch smaller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyjxklycfJ4

That looks great! I have Hampton Bay wicker (fake wicker) lounge chairs (6 total) and a couple have ottomans on my patio.

I wouldn't mind a fire pit for the lady and I to curl up with some wine and a blanket. We share a chair because we're cute like that

She lights my cigar for me and even tries them sometimes.

I’ve cooked on lots of open fire pits, but never a smokeless one, let alone a Breeo.

I would think it's going to run hotter than you're used to. It's re-igniting the smoke so you'd be getting the extra heat from that "fuel".

I remember reading the amazingribs review of the Karubecue (which also is designed to burn the smoke) that about half of the caloric content of the wood is in the smoke.

Good luck on the cook!

But how is it “smokeless”?

You still use wood? A special smokeless wood? Hmmm..

The pits are double walled with holes drilled around it just under the rim. You get a convection current going of super heated air that's released back into the pit at the top and it's hot enough that it ignites the smoke. Once going you can get some pretty cool flames as they look like they're looping out of the holes.

And for those with young kids, lighting smoke is a kinda cool party trick too!

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Fo...07152020-1505708270058341843-IMG_4955-320.mp4

Thought long and hard about doing this, my only concern is the radiant heat. I have a neighbor that has the Solo Stove. It works good, I'd say it cuts down on the smoke if your fire is small enough but the radiant heat aspect sucks, you pretty much need to be on top of it to get any heat out of it.

Thought long and hard about doing this, my only concern is the radiant heat. I have a neighbor that has the Solo Stove. It works good, I'd say it cuts down on the smoke if your fire is small enough but the radiant heat aspect sucks, you pretty much need to be on top of it to get any heat out of it.

That was why I went with Breeo. I’d read that the Solo stove only put heat out straight up. They even have a video on their website where they are using it in a carpet so it’s certainly not putting out heat downward.

My Breeo gets hot. I used the infrared thermometer on it and the outside was reading 650. Was heating the pavers under the edge that I could read to about 300.

I haven’t tried it in cold weather so not sure how I’ll feel then but we have to stay back a ways now.

To be smokeless you need to keep the wood below the top of the cylinder which probably limits some of the radiant head vs having direct line of sight in a pit with lower walls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife sent me a link to these the other day.
I am currently cutting some trees down and doing some clearing in a corner of our property.
My wife said she would like something like this with chairs around it.

I love mine. I have the first model X series they released. I wouldn’t sweat not having the sear plate. I use the adjustable grate more. Paella is one of my favorite things to do on it. Just a tip...it really likes the fire to be closer to the outside walls than centered. That helps with the double combustion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back