THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just BS

is one Smokin' Farker
Spare ribs are $2/rack cheaper than St Louis style ribs, which I prefer, but I'm not a fan of the rib tips. They just seam like more hassle then they are worth. So, I'm thinking about breaking 'em down and making my own St Luey's.

So what do I do with the rib tips???:brick:

Spare ribs are $2/rack cheaper than St Louis style ribs, which I prefer, but I'm not a fan of the rib tips. They just seam like more hassle then they are worth. So, I'm thinking about breaking 'em down and making my own St Luey's.

So what do I do with the rib tips???:brick:
I still cook them until tender then pull/seperate the meat from the bones, cartilage and fat, bag it and use it for other cooks in the future, like tacos, nachos, even a sandwich. Pulled Rib Meat >>>>Pulled Pork imo.

Cook em and pull/chop for sammys

Grind up for sausage or whatever (add fat)

Into the beans

Save em, freeze em and at the end of the summer have a rip tip party for friends

So, are you saying to cook the spares, then cut of the tips and save? Interesting, hadn't thought about that...
I cut the tips off after cooking, if there is someone who doesn't want them. Why cook two things?

I cut the tips off after cooking, if there is someone who doesn't want them. Why cook two things?

Presentation. Space on the grill. I'm kinda liking the cut 'em off and put in the freezer and cook 'em all at once at the end of the year for an appetizer. I don't know... cuz it also makes sense to just cook 'em all at once and then cut 'em off. I'm sooooooo confused. LOL

Tips have the most flavor. I generally keep my spares whole hut if trimming I cook the tips seperate. Rib tip dinner is dang good. Or I pull the meat and use for sides.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I cut them off to make St.louis.

I marinate some, rub others. Toss them on the grill or in the smoker with the racks. Nice treats for the cook while waiting for the rest of the meats to finish.

I buy packs of rib tips, from Walmart, the Smithfield extra tender, there are three per pack and run $1.39 a pound and tend to very meaty. I cook them just like any other ribs. I fold the really thin parts under itself so it does not dry out. They cook in just a couple of hours and taste great.

Mine were rubbed and tossed in some foil with butter, apple juice and pineapple juice, drop of liquid smoke. Wrapped them up real tight and tossed them on my grill with about 20 indirect briquettes and the vents about half...No timer, just when ever the coals burn out. Then, chopped and tossed into some baked beans...very, very meaty baked beans.

So, are you saying to cook the spares, then cut of the tips and save? Interesting, hadn't thought about that...
I separate before the cook so I'll have ST Lou's and Tips, cook them at the same time.

IMG_0418_zpsdkaqt5l3.jpg

IMG_0425_zpsrcnwikwd.jpg

IMG_0427_zpsyphmayng.jpg

All in the cooker

IMG_0430_zpsfooydyjn.jpg

Tip meat pulled

IMG_0446_zpssalvmybf.jpg

We all have our own preferences but I prefer to cook full slabs now for my own consumption.

Since it's cheaper to buy spares and trim them yourself to St Louis style I always do this. I smoke the trimmed rib tips with the ribs and freeze them for beans, greens, etc. Mighty tasty!!

I'll second (or third, or fourth, or fifth etc.) what others have said. Use what you remove from the spares for a rib sandwich or cook in a pot of beans.

I like to use them for pork fried rice on the Blackstone griddle.

Yup, i was going to say go Asian with them. They make a good pork stock if you pressure cook them too, or pressure cook them with black bean garlic sauce and serve with rice, or grilled with peanut sauce, ramen, pho, fried cabbage, Thai curry, etc, etc...

They aren't bad with sauerkraut either but you have to pick around the cartilage which to me is better suited for Asian cuisine.

I trim it myself, smoke the tips separately, and give them to my dog as a treat. They taste great if you want to eat them yourself.

Back