THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MustGoFast

Knows what a fatty is.
So my PKGO finally arrived last night (thanks FedEx). I felt like there should be a burn-in/seasoning process for it, but found nothing on their website or instructions.

Separately the GrillGrates say to heat up and rub with an onion as seasoning then cook something fatty. 2 Questions here but what the heck does rubbing with a cut onion do, and what's your favorite fatty first cook?

Thanks all...

Found the answer to the onion anyway:
"Onions contain sulfur compounds which is why you cry when cutting them. These compounds when heated react with bare metal to form a hard, non-stick sulfide layer. This sulfide layer is rock hard to 1000°F. Thanks to Chef James Neissa!"

Still curious if anyone has a seasoning regimen I should follow for the new grill.

All I did to break mine in was get it good and hot and threw some rib eye on. Also suggest a cold beverage on the side table during use as well. I do use the factory food grates and not grill grates, those i just lubed with some high heat cooking oil before the meat went on.

I figured since it's made of aluminum i wasn't over worried about spraying the inside of it down with oil like on my offset.

Highly recommend your favorite steak as a first cook. You will love the grill they are absolute steak cooking machines. Works great for indirect setups as well.

I think I might open with a juicy burger or a smash burger on the flat side of the grill grates cuz I'm really craving one tonight....

Figured I'd toss a pic of a simple pub burger cook - the little break in test run.

This thing comes up to temp fast, is pretty even although I need to do a better job of pushing coals edge to edge if I want a single chamber or I get cooler on the edges. She gets smoking hot as during the closed top all vent open run it got my temp gun to simply read "high" on the grates.

I think the seal and build quality are top notch. Close it all up and she snuffs out quickly and cools off pretty fast.

Attachments

• 20220513_185900.jpg
    20220513_185900.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 41
Back