THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The first thing that came to mind when reading this thread is maybe the most important lesson I've learned when it comes to cooking......write stuff down! I don't know how many times over the years I've tried stuff, loved it, then had trouble repeating it because I didn't write down what I did....I forget whole recipes and dishes for years because I didn't write it down.....I learned though, I keep notes in a recipe box and its makes things so much easier to repeat and tweek. I know it's not just a BBQ tip, but it's definitely worth while in my opinion.

Because I come from a culinary, and Asian, background, the use of many different spices comes naturally to me. I do tend to cook simple flavors with BBQ, just as that is my preference.

I also still use my Pig Honey mop when cooking ribs and chicken, which does include fish sauce and sometimes soy sauce or Japanese Worcestershire sauce.

My thing is to look at full meals that aren't thought of for Q, and then finding a way to fix that meal over coals or wood. Grilled lettuces, lasagna in cast iron, etc. I love ribs, chicken & all the normal goodies, but my enjoyment is figuring out how EVERYTHING can be better in an outdoor cooker.

One trick i use to get a better bark on Brisket is to inject high gelatin homemade beef stock overnight in a bag to let the liquids equalize. Then pat dry and dry brine in a 1/4 inch layer of kosher salt on both sides for two hours to draw in salt and draw out moisture. Then rinse and pat dry again. Then use a rub without salt , like pepper,onion powder,garlic powder,and sugar.

Its a bit time consuming but has produced the best bark to date on a brisket ive done.

Because I come from a culinary, and Asian, background, the use of many different spices comes naturally to me. I do tend to cook simple flavors with BBQ, just as that is my preference.

I also still use my Pig Honey mop when cooking ribs and chicken, which does include fish sauce and sometimes soy sauce or Japanese Worcestershire sauce.

I have yet to try that stuff out, perhaps one day...

The first thing that came to mind when reading this thread is maybe the most important lesson I've learned when it comes to cooking......write stuff down! I don't know how many times over the years I've tried stuff, loved it, then had trouble repeating it because I didn't write down what I did....I forget whole recipes and dishes for years because I didn't write it down.....I learned though, I keep notes in a recipe box and its makes things so much easier to repeat and tweek. I know it's not just a BBQ tip, but it's definitely worth while in my opinion.

I like using google docs as you can access things from any device wherever I am. I also have hard saved versions of important things just in case. There are of course similar applications.

How about trying different cuts of meat? I occasionally see some other things on here, but most posts and my cooks are dominated by brisket, ribs, butts and chicken. What's a ribeye taste like it you take it to 203? I have yet to try a smoked chuckie.

How about trying different cuts of meat?... I have yet to try a smoked chuckie.

Bob... you've gotta do a chuckie. I can mainly speak for taking the chuckie South of the Border for some killer Barbacoa (a la SteveKing)

I hope to cook more offal in the future. I've just moved into the middle of cattle country... and want better access to beef tongue, and other random assortments of bits. I've had some of this randomness in Thailand... but would be interested to see what we can do back here in the US.

Different cuts of meat:
fresh hams low and slow to 190 and hold for at least 4-5 hours makes amazing PP. The secret is low and slow and the minimum 4 hour hold.

Beef shoulder roast at 300 till 150 IT, and then a light braise and shred/pull as per pepper stout beef.

Pork sirloin H&F till 145 then hold wrapped in BP for 1-2 hours--makes really good sandwiches chopped and lightly sauced.

Key idea = try a cut not usually BBQ and make adjustments till it works. Some are as good as the traditional equivalent (try the ham fresh ham thing, really).

I've got a rack of spares on the WSM right now. I'm about 1:45 in. I am going to mix up a spray bottle with apple juice, peach nectar, brine (saltwater), molasses, and cider vinegar. Portions TBD.

Standby for updates.

You may,might,make something unique.You may refine your technique.You are free to explore the realms of where your uniqueness takes you.There is a reason REAL BBQ(Barbacoa) has been cooked low and slow forever.Many before you have disputed it and many after will also.Not saying that you cannot infuse your own flair(your bizzness).It has worked for a few hundred years and I personally like it.Juzt sayin that to each their own.That said,I do not want my BBQ to tastes like anything but smoked,roasted pork.I tried an APL recipe ONCE! Nope,not my thing,My own fault ,ruined a prime rib.

Bob... you've gotta do a chuckie. I can mainly speak for taking the chuckie South of the Border for some killer Barbacoa (a la SteveKing)

I hope to cook more offal in the future. I've just moved into the middle of cattle country... and want better access to beef tongue, and other random assortments of bits. I've had some of this randomness in Thailand... but would be interested to see what we can do back here in the US.

Offal is highly underrated, it's a different taste but once you can accept the differences, it's really delicious.....whenever I get a deer, it's tradition to grill up the liver and heart first, I do the same with rabbits, squirrels etc...keep it simple and most importantly fresh, offal goes south quick. If you want to try some supermarket items, I always recommend people start with chicken livers, they're mild compared to beef livers and super easy to prepare, lightly dredged in flour or plain, sautéed in butter, sprinkle with kosher salt and serve with a little lemon or a dash of hot sauce, you'll be a fan.

I followed this post with interest, but I'd like to touch on the basic starting point...

A two dollar steak, will always taste (or lack of) like a cheap two dollar steak. Getting good quality meat is essential. It doesn't have to be prime, but physically look at the meat for ones with better marbling.

It won’t matter what kind of lipstick you put on a pig, tough meat cannot be disguised. Whether it be it pork or beef, getting a better cut and grade of meat will make all the difference in the world.

If there’s going to be a 12 hour commitment to smoke a brisket, don’t waste the time by cutting corners with the cheapest possible piece of beef.

I followed this post with interest, but I'd like to touch on the basic starting point...

A two dollar steak, will always taste (or lack of) like a cheap two dollar steak. Getting good quality meat is essential. It doesn't have to be prime, but physically look at the meat for ones with better marbling.

It won’t matter what kind of lipstick you put on a pig, tough meat cannot be disguised. Whether it be it pork or beef, getting a better cut and grade of meat will make all the difference in the world.

If there’s going to be a 12 hour commitment to smoke a brisket, don’t waste the time by cutting corners with the cheapest possible piece of beef.

You are 100% right

Back