THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

capri man

is Blowin Smoke!
i got a bradford pear tree that seems to be dieing. guess i gotta cut it down. just wonder if anyone had tried it for smoking??

it good for smoking.. I used a load last year.

REAL HARD!! A bitch to split.

If you do a search for Bradford Pear you will find at least a six threads which end up saying yes it is good to smoke with.

I haven't tried it myself yet, but will when I get a chance.

I only use fruitwood for smoking (except of course for smoked salmon, for which I use alder). I started with plum, and then added apple, then cherry. All are wonderful. I have a good friend who recently took down a pear tree and has been smoking with pear chunks. He swears by 'em. I'm taking him out a paper shopping bag full of chunks of wild cherry to trade for equivalent volume of pear today.

Some fruitwood can be downright difficult to split. I made a wedge attachment that fits over the business end of my 20 ton press. With an air-over-hydraulic 20 ton jack in the press, it really helps to do those gnarly burly stumps! Still a lot of work, but now at least doable.

seattlepitboss

Bradford Pear trees do not produce fruit, just white blooms (dont know if that makes a difference or not in the smoke sweetness).

They are deciduous trees but its a stretch to say that they are "hard wood," seems like they break and split easily in high winds. I bet their lack of density means they burn very quick.

Back