THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JbTech

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Jeff
So, totally unexpected today. Have a friend of a co-worker that was having a steer processed. Local butcher dates are roughly a year out, at this point.

Whoever agreed to buy 1/2 backed out.

Quickly found another interested party at work. We were actually sitting around this morning shooting the bull. Agreed to buy 1/4.

Haven't ever done this before, so pretty exciting for me. :clap2:

Quick call to the butcher and I'll net roughly 200# off of 804# hanging weight at $4/lb.!

Seller is a friend who I've known for 20 years, so I know what I'm getting. Good stuff.

Other guy wanted a bunch of ground beef, so I'm getting ribs, brisket, Tri Tip, Flank, etc.

Last edited:
The lucky part is the other guy wanted a lot of ground.

Funny thing is.... I think a lot of people do that if they buy a side...cause they don't know how/wanna fix more complicated cuts. Score!!

Funny thing is.... I think a lot of people do that if they buy a side...cause they don't know how/wanna fix more complicated cuts. Score!!

Yep, when I was picking up my pig a few years back from the processor, a lady next to me was loading chub after chub of ground beef. Not a single steak or roast in sight. :noidea:

Nothing better than getting locally grown beef, we just got our second half of beef in 6 months and luckily for me twice the other half didn't want the heart, oxtail, liver or shanks.

My mom is one of those people who gets her beef largely ground. Back when the three of us lived at home, ground beef was so versatile, so I get it. But none of us have been there for nearly 10 years now . . .

I've convinced her in recent years to get the brisket and the short ribs and such. And my dad has a cheap electric smoker he's been messing with for a few years now, so I think that is starting to change for them.

I'm guessing I'll get roughly 25% of hanging weight in ground. Fuzzy math.

Wife started saying we weren't getting all this (brisket, flank, strip, ribs) just to smoke.

I'm confident we'll end up with enough beef for at least 6 months, maybe more.

I'll update as I find stuff out. Cow was delivered last Thursday, Friday slaughter day.

The lucky part is the other guy wanted a lot of ground.

I was at function a while ago and a couple at our table said they bought half a cow at a local farm and wound up receiving mostly ground beef. When I asked about the cut sheet they didn’t know what that was.
Why would a farm sell half a cow to someone and not guide them on what cuts to get?

I’d think that they would have a couple options for optimal cut sheets. Is there an app for that?

Last edited:
I was at function a while ago and a couple at our table said they bought half a cow at a local farm and wound up receiving mostly ground beef. When I asked about the cut sheet they didn’t know what that was.
Why would a farm sell half a cow to someone and not guide them on what cuts to get?

I’d think that they would have a couple options for optimal cut sheets. Is there an app for that?

I wouldn't doubt that there is, but in our area at least, no.

They still charge a % to use a credit card. Bizarre.

Every cut sheet for the 4 butchers in our area all have different cut sheets.

The simple answer is speed and assembly line production. Many of the local processors have beef "bundles" where they select a grouping of items that they suggest and customers pick A, B, C or D. They do the same for elk, deer and pronghorn. Custom butchering is slowly going by the wayside, or they charge a little extra for it.

I wouldn't doubt that there is, but in our area at least, no.

They still charge a % to use a credit card. Bizarre.

Every cut sheet for the 4 butchers in our area all have different cut sheets.

When I still bought steers for butchering, I had my own cut sheet, and asked for many custom cuts like shanks, oxtail, chili ground beef, stew meat etc. The more you know about what you want, the harder a good meat cutter will work to please you..... then along came boxed beef.

When I still bought steers for butchering, I had my own cut sheet, and asked for many custom cuts like shanks, oxtail, chili ground beef, stew meat etc. The more you know about what you want, the harder a good meat cutter will work to please you..... then along came boxed beef.

I'm getting this beef cut here...

Let's see if we can blow their site up. :becky:

SH%20rainbow%203.jpg

Here is their pricing and cut info. Not crazy different from what I've seen around the area.

https://www.lacysmeats.com/processing

Cut sheet is halfway down.

Super helpful on the phone.

I'm going to have to sacrifice the Tri Tip. She said it screws up some of the cuts the guy from work wants. Oh Well...I've got one in the freezer.

I'm getting this beef cut here...

Let's see if we can blow their site up. :becky:

Here is their pricing and cut info. Not crazy different from what I've seen around the area.

https://www.lacysmeats.com/processing

Cut sheet is halfway down.

Super helpful on the phone.

I'm going to have to sacrifice the Tri Tip. She said it screws up some of the cuts the guy from work wants. Oh Well...I've got one in the freezer.
Looks like a nice friendly business. If they have good quality and properly finished beef, paying a little more is to be expected.

Here is the cut sheet I prefer. Page one is very helpful for some people especially if their bovine geography needs refreshing, or they are new to "custom butchering". You will see "OR" used a lot, because butchering is a give and take kind of thing. For example.... if you ask for a standing rib roast (bone-in prime rib) you can't get rib steaks or beef back ribs. Or, if you ask for T-bone and porterhouse steaks, you can't get fillet mignon or tenderloin roasts.

Regarding the tri-tip, I can't fathom how a 2# or 2.5# roast screws up anything, unless the sirloin steak [] check box means cutting the tri-tip into steaks instead of using the top sirloin for your steaks. Or maybe they plan on grinding the tri-tip, ball-tip and sirloin flap?

As far as yield, a general rule of thumb on a finished steer, the hanging weight is 60% of the live weight and the cut and packaged meat is on average about 60% of the hanging weight. If you have a overly fat steer, your yield is less because either they trim more off, or you trim more off.

Last edited:
What time is the party? LOL!

Looks excellent!

Thanks!

No party planned, but do have some of the Porterhouse thawing for my wifes BDay this weekend. Looking forward to it!

Very pleased with the amount of meat. Would have had things cut differently if it weren't a shared half. Live and learn!

Still looking forward to enjoying it!

Back