THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

scrub puller

Knows what a fatty is.
Yair . . . could some one set me straight . . . does a "Boston butt" as supplied in US come with skin (crackling) or is it skinless?

Thanks folks if you have time to comment.

Cheers.

Every Boston Butt I have seen has always been skinless. Shoulders and picnic roast( lower part of shoulder that the butt has been cut from) normally has the skin on.

Almost every butt I have ever seen was skinless. However, I have gotten a few fresh ones that had the skin on.

I've bought about a hundred cases of butts over the past few years, never had skin on them.

Even from the slaughter house or the processor, no skin..

A shoulder yes, a picnic yes, a fresh ham yes, never a Boston Butt.

Last edited:
Yours will probably also be a 'long cut', which is how most of the rest of the world cuts pork. Our shoulders are cut parallel to the ribs and through the blade bone. Not a big difference as far as cooking, but it won't look quite the same.

Back