Boston Butt question..

Hey Neil,

You using that shiny new DIGI? Blue ones are better ;)

I like to do my butts at 250, just recently made the mistake and got a boneless and that threw my groove off. 2 9#ers were done in less than 11 hours. I pulled them at 195. You can really feel the tenderness in the 190 to 200 degree range.

Mike

Whats the best temp to cook a bone in butt at and whats the internal temp to take off the smoker to get pulled pork?

(Will be using a 18.5 WSM)

Hey Neil,

You using that shiny new DIGI? Blue ones are better ;)

I like to do my butts at 250, just recently made the mistake and got a boneless and that threw my groove off. 2 9#ers were done in less than 11 hours. I pulled them at 195. You can really feel the tenderness in the 190 to 200 degree range.

Mike
I'm liking the 250* number for some reason. I think I may try the dxII and start it around midnight. I think I'm brave enough with the first time using it on food. I think. :rolleyes:

I'm liking the 250* number for some reason. I think I may try the dxII and start it around midnight. I think I'm brave enough with the first time using it on food. I think. :rolleyes:
You're on the right path brother Neil.

Yes, the internal temp will stall somewhere around 4 to 5 hours into the cook depending on the size and age of the Hog Butt.

Don't worry, just relax, and enjoy another 'Adult Beverage'.

You can wrap it with foil, butcher's paper or whatever is on hand. Heck, I just use a week old Raleigh News and Observer Newspaper if I chose to wrap.

Again, just smoke it Low and Slow.............:becky:

My 18" WSM likes to settle in somewhere around 235. I never foil or wrap butts, and I like to see them get up to 200-205. I never try to rush them and always plan on 2hrs/lb just in case I get a stubborn one. I always plan for the worst case scenario. They hold well, double wrapped in HD foil, in a cooler, for a long time, if needed.

Wouldn't you know it, I have a damn cold coming on and can't taste chit. I'm cooking it anyway, maybe the wife will enjoy it. It's supposed to rain all weekend so I can't think of anything better to do.

Back