THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The pic's kind of hard to see but if they are about 1 1/2-2 lbs each and come about 8 in a package, they are what we call (Balltips) They are more or less the front piece of the sirloin tip (knuckle) cut off when you break down the hind quarter. We would cut steaks out of them for resturants, you don't really want to cook them well for a steak since they are part of the round.

What you get when you order cases of peeled knuckles or tenderloins is the fatcap is removed but the silverskin is still on

smokeyy said:
The pic's kind of hard to see but if they are about 1 1/2-2 lbs each and come about 8 in a package, they are what we call (Balltips) They are more or less the front piece of the sirloin tip (knuckle) cut off when you break down the hind quarter. We would cut steaks out of them for resturants, you don't really want to cook them well for a steak since they are part of the round.

What you get when you order cases of peeled knuckles or tenderloins is the fatcap is removed but the silverskin is still on

Ah, makes sense. LazyBones, how'd the cook come out last night?

I left my camera at the Winter Blast thing I'm doing this morning. I'll try to describe it the best I could, I usually put my briskets in at night around 9 pm at 200 degrees. they come out at around 10:30-11:00am perfect.The beef knuckles were around 10-12 pounds before I split them in half. So I have pieces around 5-6 pounds. I waited till about midnight last night to throw one in. This morning I came in and pulled it out around 8:30 am it was at about 175 degrees. I then wrapped it up in plastic wrap and put it in a warmer. for about an hour to let the juices set in the meat. It felt tender and it had a good lookin bark on it. I sliced into it and the meat was very tender and moist. Then I bit into it. It was the nastiest thing I've ever had, tasted dry and had absolutely no beef taste whatsoever!
I think I'll cook them like tri-tips, fast and at higher heat.

lazybonesmoke1 said:
I left my camera at the Winter Blast thing I'm doing this morning. I'll try to describe it the best I could, I usually put my briskets in at night around 9 pm at 200 degrees. they come out at around 10:30-11:00am perfect.The beef knuckles were around 10-12 pounds before I split them in half. So I have pieces around 5-6 pounds. I waited till about midnight last night to throw one in. This morning I came in and pulled it out around 8:30 am it was at about 175 degrees. I then wrapped it up in plastic wrap and put it in a warmer. for about an hour to let the juices set in the meat. It felt tender and it had a good lookin bark on it. I sliced into it and the meat was very tender and moist. Then I bit into it. It was the nastiest thing I've ever had, tasted dry and had absolutely no beef taste whatsoever!

Sorry to hear that! However, fwiw, I smoke my tri-tips around 3 hours and if I choose, finish them on the grill.

lazybonesmoke1 said:

Man, that sucks. I think the tri-tip method will work. Like I said, that one in my avatar was 12#s, took it to 135* internal, and it was darn tasty. Plus I got to make some of these leftover sandwiches. A little sliced beef, carmelized onions (cooked in the beef juice), horseradish, and enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you have whole knuckles for sure and being australian they are alot leaner then ours more like select beef or less, they are mostly grass feed with some grain at the end from my understanding and i haven't had much luck with grass feed beef myself, marinating or injecting might help with the flavor and cooking faster/hotter to a medum rare would be my guess

if you look at their beef you see there is little or no marbleing

http://www.ausmeat.com.au/UGAM/linking/beef.pdf

I never new australian beef was leaner! It looks like I'm going to grill mark them then smoke them till about 135. Thanks for all the info guys. I will post picks tomaroow of the finished product for sure.

Back