Bone-in Ribeye roast?

fat_bastard

Knows what a fatty is.
So I was at Costco getting pork shoulder for this weekend and the the beef was calling my name. I picked up a bone-in ribeye roast, but I'm not sure really how to cook it. Low and Slow on the smoker, Cook it in the oven? What abot searing? Kosher salt and pepper good so far as seasoning?

What's your favorite method?

I prefer to cook prime rib at 225-ish and cook it to 130 internal and then rest. Cooking at lower temps gives you a more even doneness throughout the roast

Gotta an oven thermometer ? Preheat oven to 450 .... toss the roast in bone down and let brown for about 30 min.. Turn down heat to 325 and have a beer. When internal temp gets about 120-125 ... pull and let sit 15-20 min. It should rise a bit but not as much as some say. Well it didn't for me. Carve up and enjoy. This will be about a perfect medium ... red throughout but not raw ... outside will be a bit more done. Ends a bit more done.

I prefer to cook prime rib at 225-ish and cook it to 130 internal and then rest. Cooking at lower temps gives you a more even doneness throughout the roast

Yep, nice and low if you want a consistent edge to edge color. If you want a crispier crust, pull it about 7-10 degrees sooner and reverse sear over a hot grill or in a pan.

BTW, if you can, I'd debone it first and cook the rib rack as well.

I got this recipe from a really good smoker. I have done 8 this way of these in the last 18 months to good reviews.

Recipe says boneless, but I normally do bone-in, and keeps the ribs for mysel. I use kosher salt and ground pepper on the outside. I finish in oven on broil for reverse sear.

Ingredients:
9 lb boneless rib roast
15 oz can beef broth
8-10 cloves peeled garlic
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
Injection:
Sauté garlic cloves in a little vegetable oil until they are softened.
Put all ingredients EXCEPT rib roast in a blender and blend until smooth.
Using a seasoning injector, inject roast in numerous, random spots until all injection liquid has been used.
Roast:
Rub outside of injected roast with vegetable oil.
Season outside of roast to taste with additional salt and pepper.
Heat smoker or oven to 250 degrees
Place roast in cooker and put temperature probe into center.
Cook until thermometer reads 10 degrees below desired “done temp”
Remove roast from cooker and let rest (on a raised rack) while you bring grill temperature up to 500 degrees. Put meat back into the cooker and sear for 8-10 minutes. Cook time is approximately 15 minutes per pound.

Last edited:
Back