THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEFORE THE ADVENT of armchair internet "know it alls" (including me) on the subject of bbq the process of simmering ribs in a flavorful broth, not water (thereby negating the whole "when you boil meat in liquid the flavor merely goes out of the meat and into the water" quote) many of our traditionalist created wonderful q by first boiling it in a flavorful broth. Some of the best loinbacks I have ever had anywhere was simmered in a broth of beer and apple cider and spices then smoked slow for a couple of hours as the broth the ribs simmered in got peppers and onions added then was reduced into and incredible base for a sauce. This was a low country recipe.

Two things I know boiling and simmering are minutely different (yet arguably the same as foiling) but I will not go off on some dumb assed discussion of how its even relevant here. There is such a taboo about it its stupid. Last, if you tasted these ribs you would say the same thing I did... when I ate them and saw the process. "Well Bill and Barb, I guess that is why boiling is illegal."

Here is one of the first good discussions (everyone was thoughtful on the subject) on the taboo of boiling meats -

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75441&highlight=boiling+taboo

I am in complete agreement. If you talk with old-timers about cooking ribs, this is what was done, and why not. It makes sense, especially when you're in a hurry to put a meal on the table. It's only recently that we really had the luxury of time to spend all day doing what we do. There are MANY recipes. Had them many times and I'm certainly not going to lie and tell my grandma that her ribs suck when obviously they don't. I can appreciate good food, whether it's BBQed or not. There are many recipes, the simplest is to boil for an hour and then throw it on the grill with some sauce. One typical in Spain (garlic ribs), is to boil riblets (cut ribs) with just enough water to cover them and boil dry, then add olive oil, crushed garlic and parsley. Thousands of variations. Haven't done them this way in years, but certainly wouldn't turn them down.

I've had some pretty good chinese spare ribs that were boiled (as per the waitress). So I, too, think that a person could make some very nice ribs by boiling first provided that the boiling liquid is delicious.

I par boiled my ribs for years. I am trying to purify my soul after joining this site and learn low and slow. My wife stills prefers by far my par boiled.

I boil the ribs for 20-25 minutes in onion, garlic, oregano and caraway seed. I get them just cooked. Finish on the grill for about 45 minutes even adding a chunk of wood for smoke. They do come out very moist and tasty.

Now I recently did some rib tips indirect, no boiling, at about 300 with some hickory and cherry and they came out very good.

I like sizzlers ribs and i imagine theres is boiled. So how would you bbq spares or BB's on an offset then? Or rather indirectly like what i do on my UDS.

i was thinking only a 15 minute boil after the roast, not before. just gonna roast em naked. maybe some salt and pepper.

This one has me confused....:crazy:

You want to boil them after the roast?

i wanna try it out. Just so i can see the difference between the two. Im going to boil then rotisserie the rest of the time.

How long do i boil them? thanx

Matt

After you boil the ribs save the water all the flavor will be in the water. I say don't do it.

This one has me confused....:crazy:

You want to boil them after the roast?

Well, Thats how my fav rib joint does em. I asked him and this is exactly what he said..

"after i roast them, i put them in a "steam chamber" and that makes them more tender and keeps them moist so they wont dry out."

I took the steam chamber to be some sort of device that almost boils them or adds water to em.

Maybe ill just boil for 20 min then roast..

Dont get me wrong, low and slow is cool and all but so far all my ribs come out tasting way bitter. Even if i dont use smoke, they come out tasting weird. So im gonna try something new and see how i like em.

thanx

Matt

so go ahead and boil. while your at it save the water and use for a dipping sauce so you can have some pork flavor!! while your at it you might as well throw them on a gasser and get that good ol' propaine taste. :crazy: just kiddin. but for real i wouldn't. hell my brother boils them and then grills and i refuse to eat them.

Well, Thats how my fav rib joint does em. I asked him and this is exactly what he said..

"after i roast them, i put them in a "steam chamber" and that makes them more tender and keeps them moist so they wont dry out."

I took the steam chamber to be some sort of device that almost boils them or adds water to em.

Maybe ill just boil for 20 min then roast..

Dont get me wrong, low and slow is cool and all but so far all my ribs come out tasting way bitter. Even if i dont use smoke, they come out tasting weird. So im gonna try something new and see how i like em.

thanx

Matt

Gotcha...sounds like it's just the term boil that has me confused...have you tried giving them a good spritz w/apple juice (or similar) and wrapping in foil for the last part of the cook? This would essentially braise the ribs in the apple juice and any drippings from the ribs.

Maybe something you want to figure out in the oven until you get the texture and taste you are looking for (ala Funk's Night Train Brisket). Then move back to the grill.

thanx

Matt

Matt, just thinkin... if they are bitter, are you shutting off the exhaust to control the fire. That could be it. Leave the exhaust way open and dampen the fire from intake only. You get a cleaner burn, nice blue smoke and no bitter taste in the meat... just checkin'

Bill

the acid test to this would be to boil on a charcoal fire, finish on a grill with sauce and submit in competition and see how they do. i think it would be legal as long as the heat source is charcoal.

ok so how would you guys rotisserie spares or BB's so they are nice and tender?

In that post by funk, he states that at 300, spares come out juicy, but at 225, they dry out? how is this so? I thought "low n slow" was the brethren moto?

thanx

Matt

Remember, I have said many times, there is an art and technique to each. Low and slow typically needs foil or at least some way of preserving or enhancing moisture for the long ride. Wrap it up real tight and you got some good ribs... then of course you throw the foil away behind some tree when you are done with her. Hide your wrapper good too so the kids don't use it for a toy or something.

Hot and fast is a lot like a hot and fast scrogg with one of your sexy 16 years old 3rd cousins... the one that shows up to the family reunion in those hot sexy size 3 jeans shorts that make that nice camel toe and sort of looks at you as she drinks a Nehi and really takes the bottle kinda deep in her mouth and her good eye just kinda says..."you can't screw me cuz I am your cousin."

So anyway you and her start going at it against a tree on the other side of the lake where you can peek around the trunk and see anyone coming... I mean you gonna stop to wrap it? You gonna stop to go low and slow...? NO! you gonna pop that coochie like there is no tomorrow and let all the juices kinda fall on the ground, right?

Of course later, while you are eating the corn cob that your wife handed you, you look at your cousin and notice that some of her ankle looks a bit glazed.

Two different things... one is definitely hotter, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back