THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

darrellkansas

Got rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Darrell
I live in Kansas and get free wood where/when I can.I had a guy tell me he has some Hackberry ( sugarberry), the bark is some what close but not quite...he does have some very obvious HB growing in yard but wont let me cut it down.
I went and picked up a few small logs and some had split off when he cut it down...inside has a blue tint.
The bark is similar,the wood is bright white and is hard enough to throw sparks when cutting just like HB normally will do.When I split it its white and I dont see a tint of blue.
After professional advise on what I have.Blue wood.jpg

Sounds like it is hackberry:

"Unless harvested in winter when the sap is down, hackberry has the tendency to develop a bluish-gray stain. And, says our source, you might not notice it on the surface of rough-sawn stock until planing. But, the stain does not harm the wood in any way, and like the varying hues in yellow poplar, it does have its own appeal."

source: https://www.woodmagazine.com/materials-guide/lumber/wood-species-2/hackberry

I'd like to try it. I'm gonna talk to the city forester and see if he'll grab me a branch the next time they're working on a hackberry tree.

I finally got it figured out.
What I picked up last night is a yellow or white popular and it has a fungus, so it is away from my smoking wood on the other side of my yard.
I have been using Hackberry for years and its bark is different,I guess I was just wishing.
Poplar can be used but it will not burn hot,burns up really fast and has a very neutral smoke...it is now fire pit wood.

Here is Hackberry which is all over Kansas.
hackberry.jpg

Sounds like it is hackberry:

"Unless harvested in winter when the sap is down, hackberry has the tendency to develop a bluish-gray stain. And, says our source, you might not notice it on the surface of rough-sawn stock until planing. But, the stain does not harm the wood in any way, and like the varying hues in yellow poplar, it does have its own appeal."

source: https://www.woodmagazine.com/materials-guide/lumber/wood-species-2/hackberry

I'd like to try it. I'm gonna talk to the city forester and see if he'll grab me a branch the next time they're working on a hackberry tree.
In Kansas it is common Hackberry,in Southern states it is called sugarberry and I have even heard it called stinkberry. You will find people that say you cannot use it but I have honestly been using it for years since it is common to my state. My son is getting into smoking and he said "no it can give you a stomach ache" imagine his surprise when I told him that just about every chunk of smoked meat that he has been eating off my smoker for 20+ years was done with Hackberry :doh:.
Here is a piece from a tree I cut down in my sisters back yard about a month ago

Attachments

• Hackberry (2).jpg
    Hackberry (2).jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 85
Back