Bland Spare Ribs (w/ pr0n)

go back to basics first, salt-pepper-onion-garlic for a rub sprinkle lots of brown sugar, smoke around 275 when done to your tenderness, then use your sauce and set it at 225 for a 1/2 hour. If you want to baste, just use apple cider and vinegar before the sauce. you will find it...takes time and when lost go back to simplicity

They look good from here. The only way I could give an honest, informed opinion is for you to send me a few bones for my own tasting....

It sounds like you have a lot going on between the wood mix and rub and glaze and finish.

I would go back to the basics, and once I liked the product, add the next item and re-taste. keep it up until you get it nailed.

I got a huge taste help adding powdered rub back and meat side sprinkling it just after they come off the grill. 2 minutes later I apply sauce and slice the ribs.
Taste is super powerful.

Are you seasoning the bottom of the meat? Assuming you eat ribs like most of us, the bottom of the meat hits your tongue first.

Hogs here's a link that might be of use for you. Basically it's just of some of the science of maillard reaction and caramelization. This is real good info, these are terms we often hear but aren't very well understood. Cooking methods, temps, length of time at those temps all go into it.

By braising too much (foiling) the meat is missing out on some of the extra flavor compounds that could be forming on the meat. The minute ribs go from the grill to the foil cocoon it largely stops the maillard reaction. IMO too much emphasis is put on rubs and sauces ...so much other flavor is missed out on. BBQ sauces and glazes should be like the proverbial icing on the cake!

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/maillard_reaction_and_caramelization.html

Last edited:
I never pinpointed the possible reason until I read this thread, but ever since I started spritzing my ribs with apple cider vinegar I've noticed an improvement in flavor. Fat is definitely flavor, but when the tastebuds are overwhelmed with fatty flavor the vinegar must cut through it and provide some more high notes. Thx all!

I struggled with this for awhile. My problem was not enough salt. Ribs seem to need more salt than most cuts. Switching to Kosher salt really helped me. Put on more than you think you need and give that a shot. I can't say that I ever ate a rib that was too salty.

Just my .02
Randy

Back