Blackstone griddle burner problems

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I recently picked up a 22" 2 burner Blackstone griddle and have used it a fair bit. I've been having some problems with getting a "full blast" out of the burners, I'll have the burner on max and the flame is very low. Or I'll start off with only 1 burner running and it looks fine, then I start the 2nd burner and they both drop. I've done the "regulator reset" just about every time I use it, which from my research involves disconnecting the tank/hose, then turning the burners on and off a couple times. Sometimes it works to get me the power that it should, other times it doesn't. I've tried two different propane tanks. I owned two 36" models prior to this and never had any issue - they always burned at the appropriate intensity. When I shut the griddle off I close the tank first and let the gas burn off, and then I turn off the burners. When I start the griddle, the burners are always off before I open the propane tank.

Anyone have these issues before? I'm wondering if my regulator is fault or something since the doing "resets" doesn't seem to work very consistently.

Halp!

If you tried different tanks, and it's happening to both burners, then I'd replace the regulator and/or hose. I have a blackstone, too and I love the thing. Once I figured out how much I liked it, I found a place in the garage for it!

Well that'd be a disappointment considering it's only a month or two old. Worth contacting their support or is this just a consumable item to replace yourself? Never had to do it.

I doubt it's spiders at this time of year, I keep it in an enclosed sunroom so the elements arent really in play and this time of year up here, there's not much spiders to be found.

Definitely sounds like regulator is acting up. Easy to fix, replacements available at local hardware store or big box home improvement. Be sure to use thread sealant rated for gas applications.

I think I'd try their support and just see what they had to say. I like my 36" and Blackstone appears they have a decent following. Let us know what CS says.

It's the regulator. It's apparently some type of safety feature. My 36" does this on occasion.
I have to keep turning the tank on and off and eventually it'll go full pressure.

Thanks! I’ll give that a whirl. Good to know about the bottle open speed, I tend to just go full blast with a quick spin of the wrist.

The propane tank has to be opened slowly so it doesn’t sense a leak , they make a water supply fitting like that also that causes problems also lol bleed pressure off, shut the butners off open slowly, its worse the fuller the tank

Another vote for contacting them. If you get it figured out at worst you have a spare regulator assuming they will send one.

Blackstone regulators have very sensitive safety systems - especially the smaller models.
I was having issues with a 17"

Did a thread on it here.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269443

Customer service showed me how to fix it.
Fix in the thread above.

Did this method today for lunch, worked great. I'd removed the hose from the regulator and what not before, but I never actually removed the regulator itself, nor did I intentionally wait a minute before reassembly.

I'm betting that the way I opened my propane tank was the biggest deal. Thanks for the tip! Hopefully this "fixes" me.

One of our Brethren (forget who) posted a really cool Blackstone burner mod they installed a few months ago. Can't find it. Maybe someone better at searches can.

I have a 22" Blackstone, and was having the same issue at first. I turned off the 2 burners on the griddle, then turned off the propane tank, disconnected the tank for 5 minutes. Then I reconnected the tank and SLOWLY opened the valve on the tank, turned on the burner closest to the tank first, then the one farther away from the tank. The flames coming out were visibly much larger at this point, and the griddle heated up normally. This is a safety feature of newer propane tanks. I would suggest fiddling with this first before wasting Blackstone's time on a support call.

Try closing the tank valve (propane off) then turn burners on & off. I have a camp chef with the same issue from time to time

Back