Blackened Burger w/Fried Green Tomato (Pron Heavy)

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
I cured some jowls for bacon instead of guanciale as I had been doing, although I guess there is not a lot of difference really. I had a couple of jowls that I cured with salt, brown sugar and black pepper. I cold smoked them for a couple of hours a night for 3 nights after the sun went down. They hung in my curing chamber for a couple of weeks until they looked like this.

Ran one through the slicer and one got packed away for a later date.

I left the skin on and that little line made for a nice little crunchy piece. I think I will do it this way more often.

I already knew it was going to be a burger topping, but since there is a burger throwdown going on, figured may as well document that too and enter.

Went to the farmers market Saturday morning and found some green tomatoes that looked like prime candidates for frying........and a burger topping.

Breaded and fried. Made a remoulade to dip them in.......good stuff.

Anyhow, back to the burger..........I had some pork left from the last salami I made so mixed that with the beef. Roughly 50/50 pork and beef. 8 oz patty and hit that with blackening seasoning.

Probably would have had a revolt if I did that to my son's burger so made some straight up.

Got those done and put the cast iron on the grill to heat. I have a couple of junky ones that I don't mind abusing. When it got hot, put a little butter in the pan before the burger went down.

Didn't take long before it was ready for the flip.......and a little more butter.

Had some nice, funky bleu cheese to put on it.

Took it in the house to put it all together. Toasted bun with lettuce and the burger.

Tomato up next

Jowl bacon up next.

Put some of the remoulade sauce on the top bun to help hold things in place and that was it.

Would have just dug right in but since it was a throw down, I figured I needed to try to cut it for the nice cross section shot. Just hoped I didn't destroy it in the cutting process.

Went outside for one last pic and sit down to eat.

This really surpassed my expectations........and I had expected it to be good. The tartness of green tomato really helped balance the blackening spices and blue cheese.

I will be keeping this in the rotation. Best burger I have made in a good long time.

Man that looks fantastic! Nice flavor combo. Those pics are awesome too. Love the grill shot!

Butter in the pan for blackening....nice . Great cook! Hadn't seen that before....love learning new stuff here...

That is one good looking burger, nice work.

Back