THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

radmanct

Knows what a fatty is.
I know Rookie48 holds the record for the longest time building a UDS but I probably hold the record for the longest time having one done but not using it yet waited for fire basket. That changed this weekend.

First off I will say everyone on this board is crazy. Secondly I can see why for being my first time ever smoking something I felt like it is better than half the resturants/catered pulled pork sammies I have had. (I owe a lot to my brother irrad8 and of course this website.)

My Mens Rec softball team took first place this fall, clinched first a couple of Monday's ago when it was 30 degrees out here in Iowa, so I thought a celebration party would be a great time to try my hand at smoking. Little cocky for trying it out on 20 people considering I never had meat on the UDS and never had tried to smoke before.

Got up a 4 am (25 degrees, wind gusts of 25 mph, wind chill in the teens), 2 7 lb pork butts on at 4:45 am cruising around 220 ish, rubbed with Penzy's the night before. Foiled when internal was 165 around 1:15 pm. Took the UDS to 330 because of time pulled when internal was 198 at 3:15 pm. Only in cooler for 1 hr because the natives were restless. I was planning on 5:30 supper time. My picture taker didn't do a very good job. They didn't get a picture before I started pulling/in the container/or a sammie. Oh well.

Attachments

First off I will say everyone on this board is crazy.

Crazy like a fox! ...wait a second...fox...what would a fox taste like...I bet I could smoke a fox...I would have to catch one though....what to use for bait...maybe a chicken.........

Sorry, I got off topic for a second...Grub looks great!

I don't want burst yours or Rookie48's bubble but "Brian in So Cal" holds the record for longest time to build a UDS. He's well over a year and hasn't even burned the drum out.

That being said, your grub looks fantastic.

Crazy like a fox! ...wait a second...fox...what would a fox taste like...I bet I could smoke a fox...I would have to catch one though....what to use for bait...maybe a chicken.........

Sorry, I got off topic for a second...Grub looks great!

Nah... you just have to be a jogger with an appetizing lil' arm - easy enough... :wink:

Great first cook OP! Keep having fun!

Cheers,

:biggrin:

Thanks for all the comments.

Everybody seemed to enjoy it but with a lot of the big guys I'm sure they haven't meet to many things they didn't like, only had enough meat for 5 sandwiches left. The real good thing is nobody got sick and they still made it into work the next day.

Good to see that you've got it up AND running :biggrin:. Amazing just how good things taste when it's real Q, not the store bought stuff. Good lookin' eats there.

Back