THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Costco has a long history of selling gray market goods. They routinely buy product from liquidators and wholesalers to resell in various regions in the US. While their own return process is very nice it is never safe to assume their stuff carries a manufacture warranty.

f9b535fa.jpg

I took this yesterday.
Plano, TX (suburb of Dallas)

Pretty surprising to see BGEs at Costco, seems like there's gonna be a lawsuit. I bet Costco has better lawyers though..

Sort of interesting timing with Lowes selling a $299 Chargriller Kamado too..:pop2:

It seems the last time this happened it was another crappy year for the economy, 2008 or 09 but at Sam's Club. I doubt many if any distributors have enough eggs on hand to supply either company with as many as they are selling. I'd be willing to bet a hundred that this came from the top but in order to keep dealers happy the rogue distributor story gets hauled out and they say that the warranty is voided. We didn't hear last time that the distributor got cut off nor did we hear on any forums people having issues with warranty items from the eggs they bought at Sam's Club.

Okay...from an unsuspecting customer's point of view there are things about all this that kinda bug me. I don't really know all the facts of how Costco got hold of BGE inventory so I can only speculate as I ramble on below:

Is it written anywhere on the box/crate that the BGE products come in that there's no warranty if you buy it at Costco? If not, how would the average joe that's buying one at Costco know this to be true? If you manufacture a product and believe it's truly worthy of a lifetime warranty why punish an unsuspecting customer for buying it at the wrong store? It seems to me that they are punishing the wrong people.

Maybe they should make it more difficult for the non-official stores selling the BGE products to get their hands on BGE products. It's not like the people buying them at Costco are buying them out of the back of someone's van. Somehow Costco got their hands on some sizable inventory. Be interested to know how BGE let that happen. if Costco's BGE inventory actually came from the manufacturer, my guess is the BGE makers aren't complete innocents here.

Then, again maybe some official distributor got greedy and made a big sale to Costco without telling BGE. If that is the case then honor the customers warranty and yank the distributors right to sell BGE products.

Just sayin....

Here is my thing they made a product and if it should be defective what difference does it make where it was sold? Its theirs they made it its defective fix it!!!!! Sounds to me like they ( BGE ) are trying to weasel out of taking care of their issues. My other thought is what if BGE purposely sold these units to Costco knowing they were defective to "OFF" there mess ups ya know maybe they had a badd run.

from the bge website....

http://www.biggreenegg.com/locator/

Big Green Egg does not distribute its products through discount clubs or discount chain stores, or through internet or e-commerce sites, and any such entity offering Big Green Eggs is an unauthorized reseller any may have obtained the merchandise through fraudulent or other improper means. Like many other companies, BGE does not extend warranty coverage to products purchased from unauthorized resellers, and consumers are advised to check the Dealer Locator to verify the legitimacy of any reseller before making a purchase.

here is another statement from rob from the bge website....

In light of the recent sightings of EGGs at discount club stores, and the misinformation and speculation that has sprung up on this forum and other sites, a bit of clarification might be helpful –

This is the BGE statement about discount clubs and chains, and it is posted clearly on the company website:

Big Green Egg does not distribute its products through discount clubs or discount chain stores, or through internet or e-commerce sites, and any such entity offering Big Green Eggs is an unauthorized reseller any may have obtained the merchandise through fraudulent or other improper means. Like many other companies, BGE does not extend warranty coverage to products purchased from unauthorized resellers, and consumers are advised to check the Dealer Locator to verify the legitimacy of any reseller before making a purchase.

Occasionally, an unauthorized reseller manages to obtain BGE products and offers them for sale to an unsuspecting customer. There are websites and retailers who may claim to be a BGE dealer, but they are not. Products sold by these sources do not carry a warranty from BGE. We try to prevent it from happening in both unauthorized stores and on the internet. Unfortunately, we do not catch everyone. Please protect yourself by ensuring that you purchase Big Green Egg products from an Authorized BGE Dealer. BGE does not knowingly distribute products into unauthorized channels, so please disregard any nonsense suggesting otherwise.

Please note: When you buy from an unauthorized source, even if it is operating as a legitimate business (but unauthorized dealer) selling products in sealed, unopened boxes with blank warranty cards, you are buying, by legal definition, used products. When you buy from unauthorized dealers or online you're almost always buying unwarranted items regardless of the claims of the seller. This is the policy of many brands and companies, not just BGE.

Authorized Dealers provide the following benefits to our customers:
  • Access to purchase genuine BGE products, supplies and accessories
  • Authorized Dealer access to specialized customer support services
  • Authorized Dealer staff who have knowledge to offer product education
  • Assurance that product has not been dropped, cracked or mishandled
  • Authorized service and repair facilities
  • Comprehensive support for BGE product warranties
We recommend that you purchase your Big Green Egg products, supplies and EGGcessories from BGE Authorized Dealers who are required to meet our high customer service and support standards.

How do you tell if a Dealer is Authorized?

It is easy - check the BGE website Dealer Locator or contact BGE Customer Service.

Simply put, unauthorized resellers lead to unhappy customers.

We have seen many cases of unauthorized resellers causing damage by improperly assembling the EGG; breaking or cracking the product by mishandling it or dropping the carton; and even placing the dome on backwards! There is no telling what you are getting, and in most cases there is nobody with any specific product knowledge employed at these discount locations to assist in any way. Hope this helps. Thanks.

(rob a/k/a EGGzillaJr is a BGE employee, posting on behalf of the company)

I just left the Costco at 12221 blue vally parkway in Overland Park, KS to see if they had any of the BGE. Unfortunately they do not. The customer service lady Lynn was trying her best to locate some in the KS region but couldnt. She did say that they would be getting 6 of these cookers on March 25.
attachment.php

here is another statement from rob from the bge website....

In light of the recent sightings of EGGs at discount club stores, and the misinformation and speculation that has sprung up on this forum and other sites, a bit of clarification might be helpful –

This is the BGE statement about discount clubs and chains, and it is posted clearly on the company website:

Occasionally, an unauthorized reseller manages to obtain BGE products and offers them for sale to an unsuspecting customer. There are websites and retailers who may claim to be a BGE dealer, but they are not. Products sold by these sources do not carry a warranty from BGE. We try to prevent it from happening in both unauthorized stores and on the internet. Unfortunately, we do not catch everyone. Please protect yourself by ensuring that you purchase Big Green Egg products from an Authorized BGE Dealer. BGE does not knowingly distribute products into unauthorized channels, so please disregard any nonsense suggesting otherwise.

Please note: When you buy from an unauthorized source, even if it is operating as a legitimate business (but unauthorized dealer) selling products in sealed, unopened boxes with blank warranty cards, you are buying, by legal definition, used products. When you buy from unauthorized dealers or online you're almost always buying unwarranted items regardless of the claims of the seller. This is the policy of many brands and companies, not just BGE.

A. I don't know anyone who makes sure every single item they purchase in their life is from an authorized distributor. But in light of corps ducking their responsibility to unknowingly duped consumers I guess that may be what we all have to do in the future.

B. If Costco is not an authorized distributor can BGE explain to us how Costco can get their hands on so many units? And why not still honor the warranty? If these are genuine BGE products and not illegally manufactured copies then BGE still made the wholesale profit. No matter what the BGE official stance on all of this is, it still just makes me go...."Hmmmm". Lots of unanswered questions.

C. My guess is that there will be little-to-no legal action unless the units are illegally produced replicas. If they are, that would be taking money out of BGE's pockets. That'll get some action going.

A. I don't know anyone who makes sure every single item they purchase in their life is from an authorized distributor. But in light of corps ducking their responsibility to unknowingly duped consumers I guess that may be what we all have to do in the future.

B. If Costco is not an authorized distributor can BGE explain to us how Costco can get their hands on so many units? And why not still honor the warranty? If these are genuine BGE products and not illegally manufactured copies then BGE still made the wholesale profit. No matter what the BGE official stance on all of this is, it still just makes me go...."Hmmmm". Lots of unanswered questions.

C. My guess is that there will be little-to-no legal action unless the units are illegally produced replicas. If they are, that would be taking money out of BGE's pockets. That'll get some action going.

don't shoot the messenger. i was just sharing some information i got off the bge forum.

Hey not shootin anything but the breeze :-D

I was just using what you posted as a re-quote...not meaning to hold you responsible for BGE's stance. I should have just cut and pasted instead of using as a quote. My apologies....:sad:

Hey not shootin anything but the breeze :-D

I was just using what you posted as a re-quote...not meaning to hold you responsible for BGE's stance. I should have just cut and pasted instead of using as a quote. My apologies....:sad:

no worries.

cheers.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark, the old saying goes. The greater Toronto area in Canada is selling a large BGE and nest for $899. I have been watching a "deals' website that has been covering this and last Friday one of the members called around and found that each store had between 8 and ten units. Today most are sold out, with one manager saying more are coming in May! One lucky shopper got the floor model for $700. Their are 15 stores within the greater Toronto area @ 10 units per store equals 150 units. BGE cannot sit there with a straight face and not know anything about this and then turn around and tell us warranty will not be honoured??? :crazy: Can anyone say class action lawsuit? If I was a BGE dealer I would be furious. They are the ones who will take the hit on this. Unfortunately where I live the local Costco is not selling any. Heading down to TO this weekend, they have Basque Lump Sugar Maple for $12 a bag, yee haa.
My 2c worth.

Back