THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

localyocal

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Brad
Well every year about this time I do a pre-birthday party for my daughter. Her birthday isn't really until mid October but by that time I will be stuck in a John Deere combine til about dark thirty every day.

This year I'm doing a few things different. I've always done a whole hog on a La Caja China box. In the past I had a close friend that always cooked it Mojo style because of his background from Puerto Rico, while I handled all of the traditional BBQ on my smoker. This year my friend has moved to Tampa so my wife has finally entrusted me to do it BBQ style. Understand my wife is a Filipina so her style and his were similar.

Anyway, I get the pig today and I cant wait to inject that baby with some Apple Juice and other seasonings. I'm thinking I might actually use the injection from Malcolm Reeds howtobbqright website. I personally like to use Butchers Injection on my butts mixed with Apple Juice but having looked at his injection I think I want to give it a whirl. I do think I'll use The Zero to Hero rub on it as well. The most important part of the cook as far as my wife and her other Filipino friends are concerned is the crispy skin. If I can nail it I know she will be happy no matter what.

I'm also doing a brisket on my reverse flow along with about 15 racks of spare ribs trimmed down to a St. Louis cut. All of that is pretty routine to me except I am using butcher paper for the first time on the brisket rather than foil. I'm a little excited to see how that comes out after reading posts and seeing pics on here for years. As always Ill also fry about 30lbs of fish as well.It should be a fun cook.

I've never posted pics on here before but if I can figure out how to do it I'll try to post some along the way. Today will just be getting the pig prepped with injection and rub. Tomorrow is the actual cook. Wish me luck guys !!

That sounds like an awesome cook and time with family and friends. Hope you have some helpers .

Well I've got the pig injected and put in the LA Caja Box. I took a pic and when I get inside I'll try to figure out how to post it.

About 2 more hours before I get my brisket injected and ready for tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted.

20160916_1607491_zpsqv582fop.jpg

I hope this works, first time posting pics. Ive got the pig in the box and now have the lid on it with 3 bags of ice in it to keep meat over night. Ill post some more pics after I get my ribs trimmed and my brisket trimmed, injected and rubbed down. Ill be using Oak Ridge BBQ Dominator on the ribs and Oakridge BBQ Black Ops on the brisket.

20160916_1949091_zpsxlaximqk.jpg

20160916_2020391_zpsvc7zpimk.jpg

Ok, that's 12 racks trimmed down to St. Louis style and in the cooler til tomorrow and a 17lb packer brisket injected with a coat of Black Ops in the fridge until the morning. Ill keep you guys posted as the day goes on unless I get too busy and in that case Ill post a lot of pics tomorrow evening. Ill post some of all of the Filipino foods that will be here tomorrow as well.

Have a good night.

Good luck. Looks like you have a good plan. Ready to go. Cant wait to see how evrything comes out. What a great party.

Yea, every since my wife read parts of "Smoking in the boys room" she thinks that is the way to go. If it's just me I put the mustard first but happy wife happy life. LOL

I'm not really sure why Melissa Crookston says do do it that way, I suppose personal preference I can't tell any difference myself but for me it's still easier to mustard first then rub.

Not long on the hog, I've got it flipped over now to get the skin crispy. The cavity got blacker than I'd like, I can only assume it's because of the sweet rub that I used opposed to the Adobe seating and Mojo my friend used. The crust pops right opportunity and it's super tender. When we were flipping it the pig had 2 legs fall off so it's definitely tender. I'll have pics soon of the finished crispy skin.

Back