THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
I'm wanting to try out Big Bob Gibson's 'Bare Naked Brisket' recipe on a 15 pounder that I picked up from Sam's. I will smoke it in the UDS at 225. The rub is sort of a paste because calls for a little bit of mustard.

Question is, do I apply the paste/rub the night before or when I fire up the UDS? The book does not say anything about applying the paste early. It's smear on paste, make fire, cook.

I'm thinking that it is such a big piece of meat, overnight with the paste may not do a lot of good, other than make the paste thin and watery.

I'd do it right before cooking, but that's how I do all of my cooks.

Funny thing. I grew up in Decatur, visit my family there now (My mom ALWAYS gets a couple pounds of pork when I visit), and I've never had the brisket (heard things...). Not knowing the recipe but knowing the layout of the restaurant I'd think it's applied just prior to cooking.

Funny thing. I grew up in Decatur, visit my family there now (My mom ALWAYS gets a couple pounds of pork when I visit), and I've never had the brisket (heard things...). Not knowing the recipe but knowing the layout of the restaurant I'd think it's applied just prior to cooking.

Funny you mention that.
I had to go pick up my daughter from a friends in Decatur and I had the brisket from there last night. It was so so. Nothing to write home about, but then again, not much restaurant brisket is.

Okay, I'm confused. The name "Bare Naked Brisket" had me thinking it was a brisket smoked -- well, naked.

What's the paste? Why is it called "Bare Naked?"

CD

Funny you mention that.
I had to go pick up my daughter from a friends in Decatur and I had the brisket from there last night. It was so so. Nothing to write home about, but then again, not much restaurant brisket is.

Yep. Forget their brisket, and the ribs too. We go to Gibson's for the pork and smoked turkey pretty much exclusively.

Okay, I'm confused. The name "Bare Naked Brisket" had me thinking it was a brisket smoked -- well, naked.

What's the paste? Why is it called "Bare Naked?"

CD

The paste is:
brown sugar
kosher salt
paprika
worcestershire
mustard
onion powder
black & cayenne pepper
garlic

Bare Naked = no foil, all the way through the cook
Maybe I'm supposed to be naked?

The paste is:
brown sugar
kosher salt
paprika
worcestershire
mustard
onion powder
black & cayenne pepper
garlic

Bare Naked = no foil, all the way through the cook
Maybe I'm supposed to be naked?

Pappy, Another video for you. Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5HhOizISR0&feature=player_embedded"]Chris Lilly shows Kingsford University how to Barbecue a Beef Brisket - YouTube[/ame]

Made this myself before, I applied the "paste" right before I put it on but not early enough for it to sweat if that makes sense. If I remember right, I put it own after the wood chunk's I added cleaned up smoke wise. Good flavor on it.

Thinking about this, I would love to use this recipe and do one "Blackhawk style" alla mr. shizzle :shock:

Whenever you put it on, definitely take pictures :-D throw it on tonight so it will be done for lunch tomorrow, uds should let you get some sleep

Back