THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A

aurorajp

It's my father-in-law's birthday this weekend and each family is cooking a slab or two of ribs for the party. I won't have 5-6 hours of exclusive use of his grill, so I had planned to cook mine ahead of time and finish them off there.

I smoke baby backs at home using 2-2-1 method crutching during the second 2 hours. My thought was to do the first 4 hours at home and then finish them off at their house. There would be probably a 1 to 1.5 hour window between the 2 hour foil stage at home and the finishing stage there.

Is my best bet to cook for the first 4 hours at home and then finish them for the last hour there? What's the best way to store them during that time. If I refrigerate them it's going to take a much higher temp to finish them off at their house. Is there another way to do this better?

Thanks in advance.
John

I'd do a 2-1(1.5 break)-1. It'll still be cooking quite a bit during the drive if they're still wrapped. Open the foil when you arrive and see how much they need. You may keep them in the foil for a bit more but I'd wager they'll be ready for the last unfoiled bit. Good luck.

I have had good luck cooking ribs fully a head of time, holding them in foil in a cooler with towels. When it's time to eat, I put them on a hot grill for a few minutes. I like the grill marks and a little carmelization of the sauce. If you want more traditional ribs, I would go with a little lower heat, maybe indirect, for a longer time. I don't think partially cooking them, holding and then finishing cooking would work well.

How far away is your dad's? I cook mine 3-1-1 (3 hours unwrapped on pit, 1 hour wrapped on pit - this depends on bone pull back so may vary a little, 1 hour re-wrapped in warm box with towels) lets me travel and usually they are pretty spot on. I cook at 275.

Back