THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my budget was for the Shirley patio stick burner. they go for $1999

Get the Shirley 24x36 and don’t look back. The SS Shelf upgrade is well worth the cost. Have Kevin at LSG deliver it to your door and you will save the 11% AL sales tax, basically a $200+ Credit on your shipping costs. Since you are in Atlanta, your costs wouldn’t be tha much anyway.

I just picked up a smoker from Craig Bell at BellFab near Tulsa. $950 for a 5/16" thick steel offset with the exhaust modified like Aaron Franklin's. Here is his website. Also has a Facebook page with better pictures.

Actually found him through research that took me here and another barbecue forum with threads going back several years.

http://www.bellfab.com

Last edited:
lets say you cant afford the high dollar shirley or jambo offset cookers or you just want to try out a stick burner to see if you like them... whats some good reasonably priced offset cookers? not trying to compete, just a backyard warrior looking for something different than my wsm 22". id hate to spend top dollar for a really nice offset and not like it.

The Shirley 24x36 Patio is a great introduction to stick burning

If it does not fit your lifestyle, it's reputation will make it an easy sell.

I am very new to stick burning, and fuel is expensive in my area.

Despite that, I've been very happy with my 24x36.

I highly recommend it.

I haven’t gotten my hands on the newer LSG, but if it’s his traditional pits I’d skip it. Shirleys will hold its value, but reverse flow and that’s another consideration on if you want to try that or not. I had a buyer meet me in Texas from California for my Backline pit, sold it and loss no money so they hold their value as well as any. Ryan is the first builder I am going with a second time, I’ve been that impressed. Not to mention even if the design is the same, no two pits that leave out of there are exactly the same. He’s a fabricator and artist.

Workhorse builds a traditional style pit and is near Atlanta. At least worth the consideration. So for your location :

Reverse flow Shirley all the way, although Lang is good too. Shirley is more refined.

Standard flow: Workhorse pits

Wow...you've been stuck on this "analysis paralysis" for a long time! haha I could have sworn a couple months back you had decided 100% on the Shirley 24x36.

Anyways, if you really want to dip your toes in gently rather than taking the plunge I'd recommend going with the Old Country Pecos. It's an "entry level" offset smoker which is designed OK, but it does have very thin metal. For $400 you can really get a sense of whether or not stickburning is something you'd like in general. The Pecos has it's issues as do just about all smokers, but it should give you a solid taste of what it's like to tend a fire.

You can find them at Academy Sports. It doesn't look like there are any in Atlanta, but there are a few which are within a reasonable driving distance.

As others have mentioned the Shirley 24x36 is a solid cooker which will retain it's value very well. If you were to go that route now and end up not liking tending fire I'm sure you'd be able to recoup your investment.

Good luck.

Depending on your budget look at Boathouse Smokers they are custom built in Saint Amite, La. They are good cookers and reasonably priced for a custom smoker.

Wow...you've been stuck on this "analysis paralysis" for a long time! haha I could have sworn a couple months back you had decided 100% on the Shirley 24x36.

Anyways, if you really want to dip your toes in gently rather than taking the plunge I'd recommend going with the Old Country Pecos. It's an "entry level" offset smoker which is designed OK, but it does have very thin metal. For $400 you can really get a sense of whether or not stickburning is something you'd like in general. The Pecos has it's issues as do just about all smokers, but it should give you a solid taste of what it's like to tend a fire.

You can find them at Academy Sports. It doesn't look like there are any in Atlanta, but there are a few which are within a reasonable driving distance.

As others have mentioned the Shirley 24x36 is a solid cooker which will retain it's value very well. If you were to go that route now and end up not liking tending fire I'm sure you'd be able to recoup your investment.

Good luck.

screw it. im getting the shirley. 2020 sucked big time for me. i deserve a "survival" reward.

Get the Shirley 24x36 and don’t look back. The SS Shelf upgrade is well worth the cost. Have Kevin at LSG deliver it to your door and you will save the 11% AL sales tax, basically a $200+ Credit on your shipping costs. Since you are in Atlanta, your costs wouldn’t be tha much anyway.

Definitely agree with this!

Back