Best rub/sauce for boneless chicken breast?

theTastyCat

Full Fledged Farker
Hey all - GF has joined Weight Watchers, which being a stubborn male I refuse to do on principle, but it's a good chance for me to be making some healthier choices on occasion.

I put 5 lb. of boneless, skinless chicken breast in the freezer last week and busted out the first package today. I didn't have a huge amount of time, but I did brine for 3 hours in this, courtesy BluDawg:

1 quart water
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
1 TBSP garlic powder
2 tsp lemon pepper
2 TBSP apple cider vinegar

I read somewhere else here that rubs for pork also work on chicken. So I thought why not - after some olive oil, I rubbed them with Oakridge Sweet Rib Rub. On the grill indirect for 20 minutes or so, took them off at about 120 internal to put some local BBQ sauce on, then back, finishing up direct for a nice char on the outside.

I *totally forgot* to take pics...sorry guys!

Anyway, this was some of the best chicken I've ever had, and I 100% credit the brine. So juicy and tender!

She LOVED the rub/sauce combo, but it was a little much for me; the sauce is from a local place and all their sauces have a sort of tanginess that's almost bitter...BUT, she's allergic to corn, and finding a commercial rub that's not loaded with high fructose corn syrup is just about impossible.

So! I'm going to give some of the new Kraft HFCS-free sauces a go, but I'd love to hear what you all prefer for rubs/sauces (if any.) I really was impressed how good something that's so relatively healthy could taste! I know a lot of the rub probably came off when I put the sauce on, so I'd be happy to just do 'em sauceless too.

Fire away, gents!

Will definitely be trying that! "Poultry seasoning"...man, sure leaves that one open to interpretation!!

No, you'll find it in the spice isle. McCormick has it in the glass jar, it's a very finely ground blend of thyme, sage, marjoram, rosemary, black pepper and nutmeg. You should be able to find ratios online if you don't want to purchase it, but obviously it won't be finely ground.

You can use it as a sauce, but I recommend marinating with it. I really like the texture I get on chicken quarters when I marinate it for 2-3 days, but you can certainly marinate it for 0.5-1hour, whatever you want

I like Rendezvous Seasoning. Rub it with the seasoning then cook it and at the end hit it with some kind of mop sauce, I like Shack Attack, or even a spritz of vinegar or water, then while it's wet jam some more rub on it. Doesn't need sauce like that IMO although another dousing of Shack Attack on the plate never hurts.

In a pinch, if I have very little ingredients on hand or don't feel like making a rub, lemon pepper works well with poultry.

Back