Best door type for uninsulated vertical/cabinet smoker?

charcoalwilly

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
What are your thoughts on the pros versus cons for the following different door types for an uninsulated vertical/cabinet smoker?

Looking for feedback on couple of factors:
1. Which one has the tightest seal? (Assuming smoker is well-made)
2. Which one is best at keeping out the elements (wind, rain, etc.)
3. Also, if you have any thoughts on degree of difficulty in fabricating the different door types

Here are the three. Not sure if I’m using the correct jargon so feel free to correct. Note that I had to use warming cabinets instead of cook chamber in couple of pics, but hopefully you get the idea.

1. Flat - Example is Boathouse

2. Flush - Also seen it referred to as “inset” or “sub-frame” whereby the door sits inside of the cook chamber and/or firebox. Example is Shirley

3. Overhang - Door essentially wraps around the cook chamber and/or firebox. Example is LSG (although their door type design seems to have evolved over time)

View attachment 186733

View attachment 186734

View attachment 186735

View attachment 186736

View attachment 186737

Last edited:
I can only speak for Flat.

Pros:
- Easy to adjust
- Easy to open
- Easy to access meat and slide grates in and out.
- Keeps smoke in - Even with my uninsulated smoker, if I keep the latch just tight enough smoke only escapes if the smoker is overwhelmed with smoke, but 90% of the time the smoke is shooting out of the rear vent.

Cons:
- Small smoke leakage - If I just added wood and it starts to set smoke ... like a TON of smoke ... then there will be leakage for a few minutes, but only a very little.
- Not super easy to prop open
- Doesn't look as cool as Flush.

NOTE: I always thread my thermometer probes through the rear vent, but If I were to put them through the door I could see that Flat would have the least amount of kinking. I also don't know if you would have much different smoke leakage between Flat, Flush or Overhang if they are all uninsulated.

Just me but I would do the flush mount and have a boiler type caskets installed to help seal it up even better.

Heck you could even order a Big Green Egg gasket that just seals on with the 3M glue backing.

OIP.gNT6hK0FfPrxuYuGIZnBMQAAAA

OIP.z4Kk7qEgp751fHzl79OhGwHaFj

Ive only had flat, but in your example, that flush mount is basicly flat, with a lip to make it flush. I guess that extra lip has to somewhat be better insulation providing you can add a gasket to the inside.

Not gonna lie- I like the flush look

If I have to do it- and it's wood fired- I'm going flat. easy, cheaper - and the seal is not super important.

If it's charcoal- meaning the sealing is more important- would go flush w/gasket.

I can only speak for Flat.

Pros:
- Easy to adjust
- Easy to open
- Easy to access meat and slide grates in and out.
- Keeps smoke in - Even with my uninsulated smoker, if I keep the latch just tight enough smoke only escapes if the smoker is overwhelmed with smoke, but 90% of the time the smoke is shooting out of the rear vent.

Cons:
- Small smoke leakage - If I just added wood and it starts to set smoke ... like a TON of smoke ... then there will be leakage for a few minutes, but only a very little.
- Not super easy to prop open
- Doesn't look as cool as Flush.
Good point about the propping open

Just me but I would do the flush mount and have a boiler type caskets installed to help seal it up even better.

Heck you could even order a Big Green Egg gasket that just seals on with the 3M glue backing.

I noticed some Shirleys with the flush mount had gasket.

Ive only had flat, but in your example, that flush mount is basicly flat, with a lip to make it flush. I guess that extra lip has to somewhat be better insulation providing you can add a gasket to the inside.

I wondered the same. Maybe the lip helps to keep out the elements (wind, rain, etc.)?

Whichever ya prefer...IMO in comes down ta how well it draws.

No doubt!

Not gonna lie- I like the flush look

If I have to do it- and it's wood fired- I'm going flat. easy, cheaper - and the seal is not super important.

If it's charcoal- meaning the sealing is more important- would go flush w/gasket.

True, as you’re opening a stickburner firebox door at least once every 45-60 minutes.

Back